SOWGB SDK v1.0

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
norb
Reactions:

Re:SOWGB SDK v1.0

Post by norb »

Hey, it's all you squeaky wheels that got us to release this early. Now it's up to you to impress us :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Kerflumoxed wrote:
My wife of 49 years (16 June) just called me something similar while we were in Omaha a couple of hours ago!
Can you blame her??? If my better half took me to Omaha... :laugh:
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:
Kerflumoxed wrote:
My wife of 49 years (16 June) just called me something similar while we were in Omaha a couple of hours ago!
Can you blame her??? If my better half took me to Omaha... :laugh:
Oh...does that hurt! :woohoo: Ouch!

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Little Powell wrote:
Coming soon, Culps Hill/Cemetery Hill scenario package. This will give you a chance to play battles that aren't available in the historic scenario's, including a CSA version of the July 2nd attack on Culps hill, Cemetery Hill, and the July 3rd Culps Hill battles. I'm hoping to release it around this time tomorrow.

:)
Not quite ready to release yet. Ended up being some errors with missing units in the scenario.csv. Got some clean up work to do and will hopefully release in the next day or so. :)

Edit: Actually it will be more than a day or so. I had to completely re-create the OOB (bad design practice when I started, too embarrassed to admit what I did wrong). :laugh:
Last edited by Little Powell on Mon May 10, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duncan
Reactions:

Post by duncan »

2 things i noticed, and not sure it s really wrong features or misunderstanding from me.

1) Short mod names don't work i tried a 3DI1 folder name for the mod and it doesn't appear in the mods list, 3DaysInOne works fine.

2)the .lsl file for the map modded has to be in the map folder of the root folder and can't be only in the map folder of the mod.

Another thing.
Is there a way to have less space between brigades/Div in a sandbox game ?
I changed the scale for 1:8 instead of 1:4 i changed the unitsperyard to 20 (map.ini file) to keep compact regiments, but on deployment stage the brigades have too much space betwwen them, so with a OOB of 55000 men per side the 2 sides are mixed in the center of the map and it's a big mess. A bigger map could be the solution but the brigades have too much space between them and i think even with the current maps, 55000 mens OOB could be deployed if there was less space. I can't find any parameter. Is it hard coded ?

thx
Last edited by duncan on Tue May 11, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I think I have a 4 character min there, I cannot remember why.

Yes, lsl files only load from the main folder, but the other files will work other places.

The space is moddable in the drills.csv I believe. But there is a dynamic spacing as well and I'm not sure if that's something based off of the drills file or hardcoded. I think it's drills.
duncan
Reactions:

Post by duncan »

Thx,I will look forward in drills.
duncan
Reactions:

Post by duncan »

Last attempt wasn't successful. In fact in drills we can define distance between columns and rows in a unit, not distance between units.
As the 2048x2048 sounds to be a constraint to build map, i guess the only solution for huge oobs is to build a third party program which generates random scenarios.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

You need to look at the larger formations, the brig and div.
scottishsoldier
Reactions:

Post by scottishsoldier »

I've downloaded the SDK. In the old game I liked to alter some of the OOB's in the stock scenarios, changing troop numbers,quality and weapons. It is fun to look at how just a few regiments with longer ranged rifles - eg 1858 enfields instead of 1853 enfields - could change the nature of the fight.

Can one of you experts tell me how to do this in SOW? The excell files in the scenarios have entries for troop numbers, but not troop quality or weapons. Do I alter the OOB the scenaroio refers to at the "Master" line...and if so where do I find it and how do I make sure the scenario uses it?

Having made the necessary mods I know I would re-name the modified scenario in the SDK and copy it into Scenarios in Work in the main game folder.

Sorry if this is trivial stuff..I'm not a "real" modder, but I get a lot of pleasure from tweaking the OOB's as I've described and seeing how it affects the fighting at a tactical level.

Thanks if anyone can help.