System Specs' question

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Re:System Specs' question

Post by Flanyboy »

Unfortunately it is an on board video card. I could up my RAM to 4 GBs but since I have a laptop the graphics card is built into the HD.

Maybe I could buy a cheap 500 dollar desktop a few months after graduation. Typically you can get double the specs for half the cost if you get a desktop instead of a laptop and you also have a greater ability to upgrade the computer or at least the video card.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

I am making the jump to a new computer this month (March) and am considering this:

From the PROPAGANDA sheet:

Velocity Micro MX235
Desktop Gaming PC
Core i7-860
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
22x DVD+RW
8-in-1 Card Reader
Assembled in the USA

Designed and assembled by master craftsmen obsessed with perfection, Velocity Micro PCs are the things of dreams. We use nothing less than the finest parts. Every wire is clipped and tucked with care. No detail goes untouched or untested. That's how we're able to create PCs that raise our own bar for excellence again and again. PCs that exceed your expectations.

Big punch, small package. With the Edge Mx235 featuring the silky smooth Windows® 7 Home Premium OS and an Intel® Core™ i7 processor, Velocity Micro has created a compact desktop that’s both affordable and powerful with a meticulous boutique build and distinctive flair. Key specs include Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 6GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, 1GB NVIDIA® GTS 250 Graphics, massive 1TB hard drive, and 22x DVD Burner with Lightscribe, all contained within a solid aluminum case. The Mx235 is the perfect desktop for gamers, home & office users, and digital media creators. Includes keyboard and mouse.

Processor & Memory: Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor at 2.8GHz, 8MB L3 Cache
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (expandable to 16GB)

Power Supply: "400W

Drives: "1TB 7200RPM SATA II Hard Drive (room for two additional hard drives)
22x DVD+RW with Lightscribe labeling technology

Graphics & Video: 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Communications: Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Audio: Intel High Definition Audio: 8-Channel (5.1+2 independent multi-streaming) audio system with 3 analog outputs using Realtek ALC888

Keyboard & Mouse: Velocity Micro Ultimate keyboard
Velocity Micro 3-button 800 dpi optical mouse

Expandability: 8-in-1 – Reads Compact Flash Cards (CF), IBM Microdrives, Smart Media Cards (SMC), Memory Stick (MS), MemorySticks Pro, Secure Digital (SD), Multi Media Cards (MMC), MSD

Slots: PCIe x 1: 2 slots; PCIe x 16: 1 slot

Front Ports:
22x Optical drive
Firewire IEEE1394
Headphone port
Microphone/Line-In port
8-in-1 Card Reader
2 USB 2.0 ports

Rear Ports:
Firewire IEEE1394
10/100/1000 Network port
Microphone
Side L/R surround connector
8 USB 2.0 ports

Drive Bays:
Four 3.5" (3 Internal)
Two 5.25"
Memory DIMMS: 4 slots

Chassis: CPU Dimensions (H x W x D): 15" x 7.3" x 17.6"

Weight: approximately 20.5 lbs.

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Warranty: 2 year parts and labor Velocity Micro 100% US-based support
All Velocity Micro systems are covered by non-tiered, in-house support, 100% based in the USA. A call placed to the expert sales or support teams will never be routed anywhere offshore.

Additional Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader

Additional Info: Each system is hand built by expert engineers. Every screw is turned by hand and each cable is clipped and tucked away with care to ensure optimal airflow, thermal, and acoustical properties. There are no assembly lines here.

[Model MX235]

Okay...where would I be going wrong in looking at this system? What would I need to add and/or change? Would appreciate any honest appraisals.

Thanks

J
Last edited by Kerflumoxed on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

J

Boy! That's a mouthful you got there! Does that mean the smarter the computer, the smarter the AI in the game ? :laugh:

BOSTON :)
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

If you want to take advantage of the full 6 GB of system RAM, you might want to get the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Otherwise you are in excellent shape for GB as far as I can see.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Those specs look pretty good. I am surprised that a 400W PS can run that thing.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Jim wrote:
If you want to take advantage of the full 6 GB of system RAM, you might want to get the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Otherwise you are in excellent shape for GB as far as I can see.

-Jim
Thanks for the suggestion! That is exactly the type of observation I need. But, unless I typed it wrong, the specs for operating system reads: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. Is there something else I should be looking at?

J

PS: Just talked with Velocity Micro and they said delaying two weeks as a faster machine will be available for the same price! Differences 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 133 MHz, BluRay Reader Drive, and a 1 GB ATI RADEON 5770 High End Graphics Card. Does have MicroSoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. So, after at least a one second pause, I agreed to the wait. With construction time, should arrive near 27 March (another birthday comes around) and, hopefully, close to the new games arrival! Right, Dr. Norb? :woohoo:

J
Last edited by Kerflumoxed on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update Specs
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

You are good to go, I was looking at another part of the listing and missed that line.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Jim wrote:
You are good to go, I was looking at another part of the listing and missed that line.

-Jim
Thank you, Jim!

Am concerned about the comment regarding the Power Supply of 400W. Have done some checking and have found a similar machine with a Power Supply of 650W. It is a Systemax Crossfire Dragon Game Phenom II X4 945 3.0 Ghz, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 8GB DDR3, 1TB, DVDRW, (s) HD-5750 in Crossfire mode. Whew! Same price but with AMD Phenom II X4 that they say is the top end processor, equal to or exceeds Intel i7-860. Don't know, but sounds good! :unsure:

Also, 2 graphic cards and crossfire. Same price...better investment? Don't know, but will keep checking while I wait for the lower price on the Velocity in two weeks.

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

J

When you go into the higher watts, look for ways to cool the machine off, some machines can overheat causing them to shut down. ;)

HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

BOSTON wrote:
J

When you go into the higher watts, look for ways to cool the machine off, some machines can overheat causing them to shut down. ;)

Keen observation! Will check into that.

Thanks

J

PS: Will JD on the "rocks" work? :woohoo:
Last edited by Kerflumoxed on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]