Problem porting sprites

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Re: Problem porting sprites

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

I guess I am not alone in feeling somewhat disappointed.

SOWW was sold on it's super modding potential and now this. Hard to bring any sprites across, hard to covert OOB's, no sign yet of any new map packs either new or ported. Final SDK not yet available. Seems we have a bit of sterile ground here.

If it looks like defeating even our band of talented modders, there must be something way wrong with the concept.

Geoff Laver
Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Pom
Reactions:

Post by Pom »

Quick update, these are my latest sprites in game. They are packed in my normal odd sizes, so it's not that that's causing the problem.

All I've done so far is replace the Frn_01 sprite with mine in unitpack, but apart from a bit of rescaling and colour management, I'm hopeful about future mods.

The attachment SOWWL2015-07-2316-14-42-30.jpg is no longer available
The attachment SOWWL2015-07-2316-15-00-09.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
SOWWL2015-07-2316-15-00-09.jpg
SOWWL2015-07-2316-15-00-09.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 226 times
SOWWL2015-07-2316-14-42-30.jpg
SOWWL2015-07-2316-14-42-30.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 226 times
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

The SDK takes time to test and get together. We have only been able to work on it since the game was released.

As for other aspects we endeavour to make the game as moddable as possible whilst also bringing in new innovations. Once modders see the advantage of the new overlay system as well as packing you will be amazed at the variety of sprites that can be made. we have to push forward and unfortunately we can't back engineer everything. None of this was done to deliberately stop sprites being ported over. If miodders still have the original models it's best to render them out again - there are then a lot less steps than the old sheet method to get a set of sprites. It really is a lot quicker and easier. I had a lot more time to work on the models etc and a lot less doing the boring compiling. I know it can be painful to have to redo things - I've had to go through it too but in the long run we have a great sprite system with alsorts of possibilities.

If anyone needs help then please ask and I will see if I can solve issues and help out.
Pom
Reactions:

Post by Pom »

Further update,these are sprites from Crikey's Sikh Mod, so as I said, hopeful about modding the game.
The attachment SOWWL2015-07-2316-55-21-84.jpg is no longer available

A quick question if I may Tim, where do I need to look to learn how to make the overlay sprites, I use 3dmax, but haven't found the settings to adjust the alpha channel to blank out the horse, I'm sure I'm it's somthing simple.

Thanks.
Attachments
SOWWL2015-07-2316-55-21-84.jpg
SOWWL2015-07-2316-55-21-84.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 226 times
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

SOWW was sold on it's super modding potential and now this. Hard to bring any sprites across, hard to covert OOB's, no sign yet of any new map packs either new or ported. Final SDK not yet available. Seems we have a bit of sterile ground here.
Geoff - just so you know, all the sprites from the old KS Nappy Mod for Gettysburg are in the new game and EVERY SINGLE GB MAP is in as well, with the crops bug corrected by MTG, via the KS mod.

Copying sprites across is not hard, you just need to know how to do it. I think a PM from anyone to MTG would get a helpful answer.

EDIT: Just to be clear here, you need to have G'Burg and any add-ons you want the maps from on your PC already. The KS Mod doesn't give you the GB maps for free - you still need to buy the original game and map packs.
Last edited by Saddletank on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

If it looks like defeating even our band of talented modders, there must be something way wrong with the concept.

Geoff Laver
Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
Guys - just to be clear - we wanted to move the whole engine forward.

I am very sorry that your old mods are causing you problems but I think you will agree we can not limit our development to fit mods from the previous game. The 'super modding potential' possibly refers to the unparalleled control we are allowing people over the AI - you can see how hard Mitra is working in the other threads answering questions and not many games allow that amount of control. The game is only out about 1 month so it is not surprising we have no add-on map packs for sale yet and as Jim says we are working on the SDK which takes alot of time.
Last edited by con20or on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Well, that request seems to have stirred up a hornets nest. My bad.
Pom
Reactions:

Post by Pom »

I don't think you can blamed for asking a question Crikey.

Anyway the game seems to be perfectly moddable, we just have to update our methods to match the new game.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Pom - yeah pleased to see the screenies. Looking very cool.

I was mindful of the effort that goes into your sprites, so didn't want there to be lots of reworking for you and others. Of course, what do I know, sprite making not being my forte.......at all. :)

I was particularly encouraged by Tim's thoughtful comments. Layering sounds a useful tool going forward.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

+1 POM

Absolutely not Crikey - ask away.

One thing I hope is perfectly clear is that none of the decisions we made when developing Waterloo were designed to ruin it!! We spent tons of time debating and working on the new OOB structure to make it represent Nap Waterloo armies properly. We spent months working on the new MYGUI to make the UI more user friendly - the old one had to go. The grogs all loved it, I did too - but it got bad reviews in the broader wargaming field. I don't know if anyone other than Reb is delving into exploring it properly rather than trying to make the old mods fit the new tools? I can't wait to see what comes of all these mods :)