Gun Capture Removal

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Gun Capture Removal

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Yes, that's right. Guns that are overrun should either disappear or be replaced with the broken gun sprite, (symbolizing spiked or overturned), whichever is easiest to do. There should be no decrease in the attackers numbers as happens now. The movie Gettysburg not withstanding, guns were not turned around and used on their former owners. That's just fantasy. Furthermore it was never a cavalryman's dream to capture a gun, jump off his horse and become an artilleryman.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Xreos1
Reactions:

Post by Xreos1 »

I agree with MTG. Overturn or spike.

I also recall a feature in WNLB where artillery crews could abandon their guns to retreat to square and the re-man the guns at a later time.
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

In the Blenheim mod I removed the gun capture, you have to leave blank the "captured class" column in unitglobal.csv, every time that infantry or cavalry charge an artillery battery, the gun surrenders.

Cheers
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That sounds promising. I assume that at least shows which guns were captured in the gamedump file vs which routed? What we'd like to do in the KS mod though is to use a 'dead gun' sprite so the battlefield looks suitably trashed and cluttered!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

In the Blenheim mod I removed the gun capture, you have to leave blank the "captured class" column in unitglobal.csv, every time that infantry or cavalry charge an artillery battery, the gun surrenders.
No that doesn't work in either game. It was the first thing I tried. The guns still get captured, men are lost by the capturing side, but they keep the original owner's sprites. Just the flag changes.
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

Well, in sow gettysburg it does work
gun is charged by cavalry

gun surrenders

Then the gun disappears: I have played many battles with my mod and it works.
Last edited by alessillo on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

If a division does not have any artillery batteries attached, the enemy guns will surrender rather than be captured. Put a battery of guns in your cavalry division and see the difference.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Too bad alessillo's idea didn't work.

Here's one that I just tested and it does work. In the divisions containing artillery brigades replace UGLB_FR_Art_Cdr_Brig with UGLB_FR_Cav_Cdr_Brig. As far as moving around the batteries, no issues, beyond that I haven't tested, even MyGui remains the same on the officer levels. From my SOW experiences, the art battery COs are stubborn to cooperate anyway, maybe with a cavalry leader they may actually behave better. :evil:

Of course, with testing, there may be negative ramifications disclosed. Still, worth the testing time to get this feature in now I do believe. Waiting for this feature request may be, er, a long wait, as it would require file adjustments and additional coding, followed by weeks of testing. Not to smash hopes, but if you could see the multi pages of requests for Patch 1...you'd understand.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

Marching Thru Georgia you are right, the reason why it always works in the Blenheim mod is that there is no horse artillery and in all the orders ob battles the artillery batteries are not attached to other divisions but they are always under a divisional commander. So I think that only Norb can resolve the problem.

Cheers
Last edited by alessillo on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

The idea of RebBugler works. I made a test in SOW Gettysburg and the Blenheim mod, I attached an artillery brigade to a cavalry division, but I put a cavalry commander not an artillery commender to the brigade. The cavalry squadrons charged an enemy battery and the battery surrendered and then disappeared.