Problems joining host?

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Re: Problems joining host?

Post by BoldRover »

New test with connecting with second PC to WJ Palmer's game (lobby - cf. infra 3): failed.
Test 2 was repeated as well.

Sitrep:

1. Hosting an "internet" MP game with PC1, with windows firewall on: succeeds (people can join the game, and I am able to host).
2. Joining an "internet" MP game with PC1 (lobby&IP), with windows firewall off: fails.
3. Joining an "internet" MP game with PC2 (lobby): fails.
4. Joining a LAN MP game (via SoW Lobby) with PC1, hosted by PC2: succeeds.

So whatever's causing the issue with joining an "internet" MP-game:
a. it's shared by my 2 PC's (cf. test 2 and 3). -> so I'm not going to reinstall SoW because I doubt it will fix the issue.
b. it's not manifesting itself in a LAN MP game.

I was thinking a firewall-setting on my network router. However I cannot find any firewall settings in the admin console of that router. So I'm not even sure i got a router firewall. I'm not the network expert B)
Last edited by BoldRover on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Post by BoldRover »

I'll just keep posting all the steps I'm taking, maybe it's useful for someone else later...

After executing the tests in post above, I decided I'd try a firmware upgrade of my LINKSYS-router. After I pushed the "finished" button nothing happened, and since then the router hasn't worked anymore at all :S

So I grabbed another router (D-Link Systems) which a relative had lying around. This one had the "DMZ" option. It was described as a last resort, putting the specified PC outside of the network in direct contact with the "internet".

After that I repeated test 2 with Doddleson and XNS. Both attempts failed.

So this means that the situation remains the same (unable to join "internet" MP games) after physically changing routers.

I want to thank explicitely Jonah, WJ Palmer, Garnier, Doddleson, XNS for hosting test games for me. Unfortunately I can't test the final result by myself.
Last edited by BoldRover on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The tautology is not quite complete. Can Doddleson and XNS always host everyone who wants to play? Or are there a one or more others that also cannot join their game?
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Post by BoldRover »

The tautology is not quite complete. Can Doddleson and XNS always host everyone who wants to play? Or are there a one or more others that also cannot join their game?
I know, it's difficult in practice to test all circumstances.

I don't know the MP community well, since I'm just attempting to join. Who normally has the best (ie "most compatible") rig to host? As far as I've seen, I've been able to host anyone I've tested with. :)

In any case, I will run a few more tests when I find people online willing to set up a host.

I found a few more NAT-settings on this "new" router which I could play with.
Last edited by BoldRover on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The problem may be that the person hosting does not have port 31791 open in his router. Although it is technically unnecessary to do so, several of us have found that without that port open on the host's machine there are always 1 or 2 people that cannot join. If you find you cannot join a game, ask the host if he has that port open.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

I do have the port open and he had the same problem joining me as any other host -- I know my port forwarding works, both currently with other games, and in the past with SOW when it was required.
Last edited by Garnier on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

During testing we found that people on wireless had a hard time hosting and joining. Joining worked most of the time, but hosting rarely worked. We don't do anything tricky and we made sure that the new methods did not ditch the old methods.

In our testing everyone that could host was still able to host and some that could not host were now able to host. But there were still some that could not host.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Post by BoldRover »

FYI: I'm on a common wired network.

Well, now I did a final (?) test with JB Hood (thank you).

I had physically re-wired my network: I took the router offline by physically removing it from the network. Next I plugged the modem (Motorola SB5100E) directly into the PC (With Windows Firewall disabled) instead of passing via router. To be honest I expected this to work, and I intended to perform tests afterwards with the router settings again.

However, joining (IP&lobby) again fails. Hosting (only tested lobby) again succeeds. I guess this saves me the trouble changing/testing NAT settings on the "new" router.

Ping to JB Hood IP worked.

So this rules out local network settings. Could it be my modem? Due to lack of extra modem I cannot test this :dry: (*)

If anyone has any ideas, they're welcome since google comes up dry as well... :)

EDIT:
1. Next test: telnet connection to hosting IP @ 31791. (port test)

2. next test after that: attempt to join game from my neighbours LAN :-) (*)

3. Interesting read if you're behind a router:
http://docs.poweredbygamespy.com/wiki/N ... ll_Support

4. Can anyone having the same issue (able to host, --able to join on LAN--, unable to join on Internet) please report their tests & findings? Saddletank, were you able to host? I'm running on Win 7 Home. You?

Thank you.
Last edited by BoldRover on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoldRover
Reactions:

Post by BoldRover »

I found a list of ports blocked by my ISP. Unfortunately 31791 is among them, for all subscriptions.
http://klantenservice.telenet.be/conten ... rt-telenet

I asked them via helpdesk to open it for my modem MAC, but that was a no-go.

I now assume this is the root cause of my issue, even though I am able to host SoW-games on that port. :huh:

But...

My remaining questions to the SoW devs:

1. Is it possible to set up a game through IP on another port (bypassing lobby)?
I have re-read p 28-35 & p40 of the SOWG manual, and cannot find a method to do this. I did see the "map port" button in SoWG. I performed following LAN test: filling in 30000 in port, then press "map port", then host game (on PC2). Join that game from PC1, using port 30000. This worked. Can you confirm I joined a game hosted on an IP with port 30000?

2. Assuming answer on 1 is "yes", which port does NorbSoftDev recommend, besides 31791? (and not in ranges mentionned on url supra please)

30000 looks like a nice round number :) And it doesn't appear when i try netstat -ao. Is there any "risk" in using 30000 for a next test?

Thank you.
Last edited by BoldRover on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

It has been a very long time since I have visited the technical side of MP, but as far as I know you can use any port you like. Does not have to be 31791. 30000 should be fine.