mini map

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:mini map

Post by ironsight »

Ephrum Wrote: ironsight- the game doesn't pause when the mini-map is up.
By the game, do you mean the battle progress and/or the timer? I could swear the battle action pauses when the map page is brought up. Whether the timer pauses, i don't have a clue.
I'll admit when i command a battle its just about one hell of a concentrated tunnel visioned A-holes 'n elbows mentality with the absolute prime goal to drive the enemy back so i don't pay much attention to other peripheral game related things including as everyone knows by now VPs!:angry: :)
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

JC Wrote:The answer is........Micro-management men!! Micro-management!
YUP!! Without the TC in TC2M, i woulda got frustrated losing most battles and quit playing long ago!;)
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

We need some real people that respond to real orders in this game. I would love not to push the TC button and just type out orders onto the screen to have it happen, and if I included, follow to the letter, they would!

Much more realistic!
Hancock the Superb
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Ephrum, you are quite right!
Just got done playing a medium Laural Junc. OP battle as R.E.Lee and yep, the action continues when the map is up, never payed that much attention as i typically look at the mini map only for a second or two. I'll assume the timer is still clicking also.
By the way with a 1:3 casualty ratio in that battle,
that map was cleared once again of blue bellies !B):)
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Ironsight & Hancock
On the mimimap will show the VPs with Fatigue, Morale, & Ammunition bonuses, those I find quite valuable to hold, as well as high point VPs in some senerios, and or, Way Station type VPs, other VPs don't seem worth it to hold. The manpower expended to guard duty of low value VPs, takes away the initative{sp?} of the controling side. Be it real war or a game war is about having the initative, even chess is about war, attack, defend when you have to, but always attack. As you dessimate the enemy, sure you can go back and man VPs, if you have the luxury of superior numbers of troops and your enemy is scattered to the winds. Without a foe to fight makes for a lame battle.

Jim, says the MP dosen't have pause, which would change my game quite a bit, cause I do like to pause to get info/ updates on battle damage, also I get fatigued and need a break. How you guys handle it? I don't know. I would like to observe your play.

Thankx, hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Jim, says the MP dosen't have pause, which would change my game quite a bit, cause I do like to pause to get info/ updates on battle damage, also I get fatigued and need a break. How you guys handle it? I don't know. I would like to observe your play.
hoistingman4- I don't think your the only one that'll have to change your game, due to not being able to pause. About a month ago, I stopped using the pause button, because I knew we wouldn't be able to pause the game during MP. It did change the way I played, but not as much as one might expect. You just have to be more decisive. It's a learning curve, but it's good for ya!

I know the Senario's can come off as unrealistic at times, but each Senario has great lessons in handling stress, in seemingly impossible situations, and learning to go with your instincts. There are a few that, even though the game declared me a winner, my troops were on the verge of getting overwhelmed and broken. But you take what you learn from it and try to put it to use on the next one. The key word is PRACTICE. That's one of the reasons I like Open Play. It's a great training ground.

As for a given unit(s) training and abilities, you could try and do what I know some of us do. Make notes. My computer desk is all but covered in post-it notes with that info. Because I can't remember all those details in the fog of war. And at times, when fighting with a corps or army, I don't worry about that stuff.
And battle reports? Speaking for myself, I don't even look at it, until the game declares me victorious.
Just keep at it, and try to be patient. You'll develope your own style as you go. And you will get better!

ironsight-Congrats on your Laural Junction victory, casualty ratio, and a map free of blue dots!! Well done Sir!!B)
OHIO UNIVERSITY
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

hoistingman Wrote: Jim, says the MP dosen't have pause, which would change my game quite a bit, cause I do like to pause to get info/ updates on battle damage..
OK i see where you're coming from now with the pause thing. I very rarely pause even in a 2 to 3 hour battle. That includes trips to the fridge for a cold one and calls to nature. Before i leave a battle momentarily, i usually make sure everything is going smoothly. If i see a menacing enemy Brigade, i'll unTC and maneuver one of my Brigades towards em before i leave the battle.
I get so wrapped up concentrating on these battles the hours seem to turn into minutes.

I think the type/size battle and commander one plays also enters into all this.
If one plays a Brigade or Division Commander there's more time to poke around looking at maps and detailed stats i suppose.
On the other hand, playing the Army Commanding General in a large battle leaves little time for maps and stats at least for me.
After playing large battles as the Army Commanding General and getting to know the enemy's AI,game peculiarities, etc., maps and detailed stats at some point give way to instinctive reactionay strategies towards the ultimate goal of winning the day. I know thats how its been for me.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
We need some real people that respond to real orders in this game. I would love not to push the TC button and just type out orders onto the screen to have it happen, and if I included, follow to the letter, they would!

Much more realistic!
Hancock- I for one would be happy to follow your orders "to the letter".
But let me ask you this; What if you gave me an order to move my division/corps to support another, and a few minutes later, you get a dispatch from me that says, "I've run into A.P. Hills corps moving on my right flank. I can't support as ordered." ?
Don't get me wrong Hancock, it's not a trick question, and I'm not trying to pick on you. But something like that is bound to happen to all of us at some point. This is where we're going to have to learn to trust our subordinate commanders to take care of the unexpected. I mean to say, it may not be an easy transition for those of us, who prefer to Take Command of ALL our forces in TC2M.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Ephrum wrote:
Hancock the Superb wrote:

Much more realistic!
Hancock- I for one would be happy to follow your orders "to the letter".
But let me ask you this; What if you gave me an order to move my division/corps to support another, and a few minutes later, you get a dispatch from me that says, "I've run into A.P. Hills corps moving on my right flank. I can't support as ordered." ?
Don't get me wrong Hancock, it's not a trick question, and I'm not trying to pick on you. But something like that is bound to happen to all of us at some point. This is where we're going to have to learn to trust our subordinate commanders to take care of the unexpected. I mean to say, it may not be an easy transition for those of us, who prefer to Take Command of ALL our forces in TC2M.
*courier message from Ephrum to Hancock the Superb*
Sir, I regret to inform you that I cannot complete my support mission as requested. I and my command have had the misfortune of encountering the "Mad One" himself and we are in desperate need of reinforcements! Artillery on both flanks; Cavalry has blocked any means of withdrawal. Taking heavy casualties...I pray this courier reaches you
your most obedient servant, Gen Ephrum Zimbalist III
:evil: :evil:
Last edited by JC Edwards on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Ephrum Wrote: This is where we're going to have to learn to trust our subordinate commanders to take care of the unexpected. I mean to say, it may not be an easy transition for those of us, who prefer to Take Command of ALL our forces in TC2M.

True, except when subordinate commanders are allowed their AI heads, they sometimes have a suicidal attraction to enemy cannister!:( Using that TC icon is a 'tight rope' balancing act for sure.
For some reason lately, even when i TC a Brigade Commander 2 or so out of 10 times he won't obey my orders and stops short of his ordered destination.
Been playing 'high' AI lately, maybe thats got something to do with it.