working on mods

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
alessillo
Reactions:

Re: working on mods

Post by alessillo »

Well, regardeless of my mod it is not very realistic that a regiment is at 30 yards from an artillery battery and continues to fire and takes canister shots; anyway I think that at the moment it's impossible to have units without firearms like in TC2M.

Cheers
Last edited by alessillo on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Well, regardeless of my mod it is not very realistic that a regiment is at 30 yards from an artillery battery and continues to fire and takes canister shots
I'll have to disagree with you on that. See Smith's battery against the 1st Texas in the triangular field. They held off the charging rebels up to the last second, and lost a couple guns because of it. Also Bigelow's battery near the Trostle Farm. They held off the charging rebels from Barksdale's brigade until the last second.. That's just a couple of examples..

It was more common for artillery to retreat if infantry got that close (which is also modeled in the game) but it did happen. And I'm sure that cav regiment in the screenshot didn't stick around for that much longer after a few canister hits.. :)
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

I agree with you, my sentence was not clear, artillery can hold to the last second and this is realistic, but infantry must charge or retreat and cavalry too.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I agree with you, my sentence was not clear, artillery can hold to the last second and this is realistic, but infantry must charge or retreat and cavalry too.
Ah I understand. Yeah, artillery does cause more damage in this game and does have a bigger effect on morale.. Especially canister. One or two canister hits and that regiment is out of there.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I don't know why the cavalry do not charge the enemy that is in autocharge range.
cheers
IIRC, autocharge against artillery was taken out of the game because it caused a bug.. I can't remember what the bug was, but I want to say it caused units to get stuck on artillery or something like that.. Maybe Rebbugler remembers what it was.
I've been watching this thread and I'm miffed. I thought cavalry would auto charge unlimbered guns also, and don't remember if or why it was taken out.
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed a goof
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

This screen shot is taken from a sandbox battle, without any mod active

Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Do you have the latest patch? I'm finding it strange that that artillery isn't retreating when there is no infantry support nearby..
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

I have version 1.2
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

RebBugler, do you think that this problem will be solved in a future patch?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

RebBugler, do you think that this problem will be solved in a future patch?
It's being looked into. If we can accommodate the design of full time non-shooting combatants within the game engine without messing up the present setup, I believe it will come to be. I'm sure many folks are anxious for your 'Other Continent' designs to roll out here, your talents are highly appreciated. I, for one, hate to see you stonewalled.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...