Maps and game terrain

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Re:Maps and game terrain

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Got it, I had to overwrite the old Map .dds files with yours, maps look good now with your Mod.

many thanks Garnier

Braxton Bragg
Last edited by Braxton Bragg on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There will always be a counter argument!
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

There is no record option in my system, pcelt I simply can't do it and if you look in that thread you'll see I am not the only one. :)

It's ok not looking at the sounds right now, besides I'm sure a fix will pop up soon.
pcelt
Reactions:

Post by pcelt »

Sorry about that GShock--guess you arnt using the ultra-modern XP O.S that I have been cherishing for decades...
pcelt
Reactions:

Post by pcelt »

Just one final thought to those in this thread who have asserted that no-one really knew the terrain well implying I think that I should not expect the use of a reliable and accurate in-game map. I would just like to point out that our opponent in single player games is the AI and the AI is familiar with the terrain and routes and can use them. To compete fairly here we players have to rely on accurate maps to plan our moves---now in a player v player game the situation is different and equal confusion re maps may well be fair.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

But in order to get the simulation semi accurate, the AI and the player just looks around them and "sees" what is available. They did not have super accurate maps that showed all of the terrain, the AI does make use of the terrain, but not to a huge degree (which upsets some players). I see this point going both ways, it's not conclusive that there is a set answer.
DrMike1997
Reactions:

Post by DrMike1997 »

I knew Norb was going to say that. This is a feature of the game that goes back to Bull Run. This AI doesn't cheat like in some other games. This fact explains a couple of things... why the ai sometimes does some incredibily dumb things, and why it feels more like playing a human than other game ai. (note; I am not saying it is equal, one mp game will disprove that :P but it is closer.

So, don't worry, the AI is not going to do a double summersault and end up in your rear :woohoo:
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Hey Doc, emmm was playing a Sandbox game, Div v Div, got them on the run I was feeling kinda good with myself......then looked behind me and out of the woods 2 Union regiments making a bee line for my -------- rear :woohoo:

Brilliant AI

Braxton Bragg
Last edited by Braxton Bragg on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There will always be a counter argument!
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

They do that, sometimes they are amazing and sometimes very stupid. That is how I like them, but I can't take direct credit. My goal was to make them unpredictable because I want the game to be very replayable. So although they may do the same things, you cannot count on it.
DrMike1997
Reactions:

Post by DrMike1997 »

And they don't cheat to do it. The AI only knows what it can "see" in a given situation. The fog of war applies to the AI just like it does to the players. That is very unusual in a tactical level war game.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Since you always have AI commanders under your control, and they run the same routines, you would get the same advantage. And the Dr. is correct, my AI never cheats. I consider it a fair balance, although the computer can think and control units faster, the human is the better thinker.