gun smoke effects in the new game

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

gun smoke effects in the new game

Post by Gunfreak »

the one thing I didn't realy like in the TC games, was the some from rifles and cannon,

it just looked to much like, I don't realy know, but it didn't look real.

the smoke got better in the CM3 mod, bigger puffs ect. but it still didn't look very real.

if you look at the smoke effekt on the histwar game, it looks more real, it an animeted effekt, it lingers and it's not the same while puff everytime.

so what I'm asking is will the smoke be diffrent from the TC games?
norb
Reactions:

Re:gun smoke effects in the new game

Post by norb »

We feel the same exact way and effects is one of the big items on our list. I can tell you for a fact that this new engine will allow for much longer lingering smoke. I haven't gotten all of that coded yet, but it's on the list!
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

Norb, thats super news.
just what I wanted to hear
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

If the smoke is going to linger longer, will there be a negative effect on the men? What I mean is will those shooting into the smoke get like a negative accuracy bonus or something along those lines?
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

If the smoke is going to linger longer, will there be a negative effect on the men? What I mean is will those shooting into the smoke get like a negative accuracy bonus or something along those lines?
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Our plan is to have it linger longer. I don't think we have a plan for it to affect accuracy as it would affect everyone the same so would even out in the end. I guess it could prolong battles as everyone's accuracy decreases, but I don't think we are considering that for this release. Of course if Jim reads this he may add it to the list, I leave that stuff up to him :)
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

If you wanted to have an effect on accuracy, then you would have to also account for wind direction and speed. If it's blowing 25 mph, then the smoke isn't going to be around long enough. If it's flat calm, then it's a different ballgame. We have a lot of other things that are being upgraded for this game. I think we will have to leave this higher level of sophistication for a future release. It's an interesting variable, especially for random battles.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863