Prairie Grove 1862 - SR1 True LOS

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Prairie Grove 1862 - SR1 True LOS

Post by RebBugler »

PG05-Dec 7-Struggle at the Rogers House (C-Div)

Length of Play: 1 Hour

Command: General Francis A. Shoup's infantry division, 8 Guns, 3200 strong

Situation: General Shoup's Arkansas division holds the center of the Confederate line along the ridge. His troops are presently taking cover in the woods after being pounded by Union artillery for the past two hours. When orders arrive to prepare for an imminent attack, defensive positions are hastily organized.

One second left, we managed to hold our ground ... with the help of friendlies on both flanks.
PG05 CSA.jpg
PG05 CSA.jpg (532.94 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
The enemy AI gave me a break with this play, this will prove to be a challenging scenario for most folks.
PG05 CSA MV.jpg
PG05 CSA MV.jpg (349.01 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

PG06-Dec 7-Attack on the Confederate Center (U-Div)

Length of Play: 1 Hour

Command: Colonel Daniel Huston Jr., Division Commander, mixed cavalry and infantry, 8 Guns, 2200 strong

Situation: This scenario begins historically with General Herron's division beginning the afternoon attack on the Confederate right flank. Thereafter, General Huston's division joins the attack focusing on the Rebel center at the Rogers House.

One second left, the Rebel counterattack was overwhelming and I had to withdraw my division from the ridge while it still existed.
PG06 USA .jpg
PG06 USA .jpg (572.01 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
A costly MV, for both sides, the Rebels bearing the brunt of the expense. Huston's two 'long range Sharps rifle' brigades carried this MV to fruition, as the objective had to be abandoned.
PG06 USA MV.jpg
PG06 USA MV.jpg (428.87 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update 2.0 December 24, 2022
- Added scenarios PG05 and PG06
PG05-Dec 7-Struggle at the Rogers House (C-Div) INFO
PG06-Dec 7-Attack on the Confederate Center (U-Div) INFO
- Added portrait - USA Colonel Daniel Huston Jr.

Merry Christmas 2022 to all, and to all a good play...
SeriouslyAStoneWall
Reactions:

Post by SeriouslyAStoneWall »

RebBugler wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:57 pm
SeriouslyAStoneWall wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:56 pm ...Any strategy suggestions? Albeit I am likely still a novice in skill at this game, can't tell if it is more advantageous to keep TC on or let generals decide what to do with their men.
How much and when to TC officers (I never TC regiments, but some folks do) is totally up to how much the player wants to control their troops (micromanage). The more you play the more you'll learn about when to TC and when to let the AI select the tactics and strategy to defeat the enemy. Like most folks, I use a combination of both. Here's some basics:
- To get troops to a specific spot you must TC
- To keep troops at a specific location, say an objective, you must TC
- To keep troops from wandering off, you must TC. The order 'Stay' works pretty good, but not as reliable as TC.
- Your troops are more effective when their officer is not TC'd, so TC off once they become engaged.
- The AI doesn't see or know how to use defensive bonuses, walls, fences, etc., so 'TC Officers' and place regiments defensively, then TC off (division level, Atcommoff) once regiments are all engaged.

These above references pertain to brigade level officers only. Upper level officers control the AI's overall strategy to defeat the enemy. Of course, they are only effective command-wise if all their subordinates are TC off.

This about covers the basics of TC play, now it's up to you to determine your style or mode of play when leading your troops to victory.

If it isn't obvious yet, TC commands, or orders, are not necessary to control troops until the player's AI has LOS (Line of Sight) of the enemy.

Thank you for these tips and tricks you shared! Sometimes I wonder if troops wondering off it an issue or actually intentional as to simulate a commander's own initiative, thus raising the question is a good subordinate one the does exactly what you tell them when you tell them and nothing more or is a good subordinate one that shows its own initiative and obeys "the spirit of the order". My current play style suggests I'd prefer the former :D

Hope your holidays were merry!
seamount0
Reactions:

Post by seamount0 »

It's great the GB is still developed with mods like that, a great thank you to you RebBugler.

I am coming from Waterloo, now I am 100% on ACW and it's really a great sim with many mods.