Prairie Grove 1862 - SR1 True LOS

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

PrairieGrove.jpg
PrairieGrove.jpg (480.1 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

160th Anniversary Release - December 7, 2022/1862

Featuring:
SR1 - Battalion level, one to one sprite to soldier ratio
True LOS - Realistic battle distances
Upgraded Flags - Latest B&F flag upgrade included; if opted, prioritize B&F above this mod so level 6 (battalion) graphics display correctly

Unzip and copy to the Mods folder (Unzips with 7zip, free download...)

Update 2.0 December 24, 2022 DETAILS
- Added scenarios PG05 and PG06

Original Authors and Contributors:
2nd Texas Infantry (John Bonin) - Maps, OOB research (mentoring, texture and sprite sources from Louie Raider, Tim, Crikey, Jolly, Little Powell, Davinci)
RebBugler - Western toolbar theme, portraits, flags, OOB revisions, scenarios, SR1 and True LOS update
Marching Thru Georgia - Map road pathing testing and adjustments
Little Powell - Map testing and preparation
Zeke - Original OOB

Included in this battle pack is a sandbox OOB along with two MP and seven SP scenarios:
OOB_SB_Prairie_Grove (select Sprite Ratio = 1 in Options, not necessary for scenarios)
PG MP01-Dec7-Battle of Prairie Grove
PG MP02-Dec7-Battle of Prairie Grove - Objectives
PG00-Dec7-Battle of Prairie Grove (USA CSA) Unit Select
PG01-Dec 7-Battle of Prairie Grove (C-Corps)
PG02-Dec 7-Battle of Prairie Grove (U-Corps)
PG03-Dec 7-“Jo” Shelby's Raiders (C-Brig) INFO
PG04-Dec 7-Fight at the Borden House (U-Div) INFO
PG05-Dec 7-Struggle at the Rogers House (C-Div) INFO
PG06-Dec 7-Attack on the Confederate Center (U-Div) INFO

The following mods have been tested and found compatible:
(This mod is also listed to show the overall priority order in Modifications)

4K Packed Artillery, Cavalry, et al
Bugles & Flags (use for toolbar purposes only)
TC2M SOW Infantry Mod
TC2M SOW Infantry True LOS (this mod is necessary for the ‘TC2M SOW Infantry Mod’ to function properly by adjusting movement speeds)

Download the ‘TC2M SOW Infantry True LOS’ mod here:
Unzip and copy to the Mods folder…
TC2M SOW Infantry True LOS.zip
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Previous Updates
Update 1.5 December 21, 2022 DETAILS
- Added scenarios PG03 and PG04
Update 1.0 December 14, 2022 DETAILS
- Revised scenarios
- Edited Map.csv file

Last week I got a wake-up call. I saw on local news that a grand 'Battle of Prairie Grove' reenactment was planned for the 160th anniversary of that important Arkansas battle. So, to do my part in re-telling Arkansas ACW history, I got busy updating this almost a decade old mod. It was a scramble, SR1 builds take a while, but made it to the deadline, today, December 7, 2022.

Still can't win the Confederate scenario. True LOS makes the Yankee batteries killing machines, as they were historically during this battle. I'll keep having fun trying, but gotta release today, the 160th anniversary...
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Prairie Grove 1862 - SR1 True LOS

Post by RebBugler »

Update 1.0 December 14, 2022
- Revised scenarios
- Edited Map.csv file

- Revised scenarios
1) PG01-Dec 7-Battle of Prairie Grove (C-Corps)
Had to scratch the first version after finding it impossible to beat. The Union artillery is just too dominant so practicable paths to taking them out are now available. Also the scoring has been altered giving the player a chance to save the day toward the end ... CSA objectives each offer 5 points (per minute) for the first hour, 20 points for the next 20 minutes, and 100 points for the last 10 minutes.

2) PG02-Dec 7-Battle of Prairie Grove (U-Corps)
As the first version offered, objective 'Waypoints' are preferable for offensive oriented scenarios so the player can capture each and then move on. However, since the Union side has overly dominant artillery, the player could delay to attack for a long period of time, and accumulate loads of artillery engagement points, then eventually just sweep in and grab the 'Waypoints'. So, this scenario has been revised with 'Hold' objectives to encourage the player to attack immediately in order to start collecting points as soon as possible.

- Edited Map.csv file
Adjusted the 'Visibility, Column E' entries. For some reason Texas John chose to keep this function at 500 yards for all terrain entries. So, with this revision woods, light woods, and some other critical entries are changed according to stock data. This helps the CSA troops hide as they move through the woods to sneak up on Union guns. Otherwise, without the corrected visibility, this CSA scenario was a lost cause.

Now, I've got to go back and revise all of Texas John's maps I've designed scenarios for and posted, because, I've found that all his maps except Chancellorsville show the same issue with visibility criteria, along with some other map.csv oversights. Texas John gifted us all with some very appealing maps, don't mind cleaning them up at all.

This was my second run after updating, my first run ended in a ‘Draw’, just barely 3000 pts. So, winnable and competitive, since the AI is primarily just reacting to orders, you don’t know how tough it’ll be.
Prairie Grove_01_C_MV.jpg
Prairie Grove_01_C_MV.jpg (349.27 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Still not competitive enough, but it should keep folks immersed, and definitely busy.
Prairie Grove_02_U_MV.jpg
Prairie Grove_02_U_MV.jpg (428.93 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Well, at least I got this mod posted by its 160th Anniversary on the 7th. But obviously, as revealed by this revision, it wasn’t even ready for release. Hopefully this release will shore things up, at least for entertainment purposes, and folks being actually able to win the CSA version.
SeriouslyAStoneWall
Reactions:

Post by SeriouslyAStoneWall »

Beautiful mod/map Reb! I have been consumed lately with this, Chickamauga, and red river mods. This one is hard! Any time I move my troops forward they get mowed down by artillery. Any strategy suggestions? Albeit I am likely still a novice in skill at this game, can't tell if it is more advantageous to keep TC on or let generals decide what to do with their men.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

SeriouslyAStoneWall wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:56 pm Beautiful mod/map Reb! I have been consumed lately with this, Chickamauga, and red river mods. This one is hard! Any time I move my troops forward they get mowed down by artillery. Any strategy suggestions? Albeit I am likely still a novice in skill at this game, can't tell if it is more advantageous to keep TC on or let generals decide what to do with their men.
Good hearing from you, glad you're enjoying the SOW ride!
With the last update the fix concerning 'Woods' visibility makes it possible to approach the guns from their flank. As you've already experienced, it's impossible to attack their front without being annihilated. I'm assuming you're referring to the CSA scenario. I was able to successfully carryout this stealth mission with the two eastern-most cavalry regiments.

Good luck with your guns-hunting expedition, it won't be easy. Evasion, timing and execution are key elements for success.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

SeriouslyAStoneWall wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:56 pm ...Any strategy suggestions? Albeit I am likely still a novice in skill at this game, can't tell if it is more advantageous to keep TC on or let generals decide what to do with their men.
How much and when to TC officers (I never TC regiments, but some folks do) is totally up to how much the player wants to control their troops (micromanage). The more you play the more you'll learn about when to TC and when to let the AI select the tactics and strategy to defeat the enemy. Like most folks, I use a combination of both. Here's some basics:
- To get troops to a specific spot you must TC
- To keep troops at a specific location, say an objective, you must TC
- To keep troops from wandering off, you must TC. The order 'Stay' works pretty good, but not as reliable as TC.
- Your troops are more effective when their officer is not TC'd, so TC off once they become engaged.
- The AI doesn't see or know how to use defensive bonuses, walls, fences, etc., so 'TC Officers' and place regiments defensively, then TC off (division level, Atcommoff) once regiments are all engaged.

These above references pertain to brigade level officers only. Upper level officers control the AI's overall strategy to defeat the enemy. Of course, they are only effective command-wise if all their subordinates are TC off.

This about covers the basics of TC play, now it's up to you to determine your style or mode of play when leading your troops to victory.

If it isn't obvious yet, TC commands, or orders, are not necessary to control troops until the player's AI has LOS (Line of Sight) of the enemy.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thanks for this Reb - I remember the original! ;)

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

PG03-Dec 7-“Jo” Shelby's Raiders (C-Brig)

Length of Play: 1 Hour

Command: Colonel Joseph Shelby's cavalry brigade, 1200 strong

Situation: What if ... Colonel Shelby's brigade is ordered to find a way through the eastern woods undetected to flank the Union army, then attack and destroy their artillery.

One second left, both objectives taken, and all guns captured. They began their quest from behind the Borden House, pictured in the upper left corner.
PG scenario 03.jpg
PG scenario 03.jpg (237.62 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Took several tries, but finally found a relatively clear path to taking out the artillery while minimizing casualties. Suggestion, use your two small regiments to scout the woods and other limited visibility terrain to plan your assault.
PG scenario 03 MV.jpg
PG scenario 03 MV.jpg (348.52 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

PG04-Dec 7-Fight at the Borden House (U-Div)

Length of Play: 1 Hour

Command: Brig General Francis J. Herron's division, mixed cavalry and infantry, 12 Guns, 4000 strong

Situation: This scenario begins historically with the 20th Wisconsin and 19the Iowa regiments stepping off to attack a Confederate artillery battery at the Borden House. Thereafter, it will take Herron's full division to attack the eastern ridge and win this scenario. Colonel Huston's division will attack the Rebel center in fifteen minutes and will serve as support on Herron's right flank.

One second left, and the fight continues...
PG scenario 04.jpg
PG scenario 04.jpg (662.75 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
A hard earned MV, and just barely there...
PG scenario 04 MV.jpg
PG scenario 04 MV.jpg (428.61 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update 1.5 December 21, 2022

- Added scenarios:
PG03-Dec 7-“Jo” Shelby's Raiders (C-Brig) INFO
PG04-Dec 7-Fight at the Borden House (U-Div) INFO
- Edited OOB and Portraits to add division level officer
- Edited text in first two scenarios
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Preview screenshot...
Coming real soon, two new scenarios, and introducing a new portrait: Colonel Daniel Huston Jr.

This end game screenshot shows how lopsided the scoring was for this play-test. Gotta shore it up and make it more competitive. Couldn't pass up showing off this screenshot though. Battle shots on Texas John's maps always show off his unique flair.
Colonel Daniel Huston Jr..jpg
Colonel Daniel Huston Jr..jpg (623.81 KiB) Viewed 960 times