Odd Multiplayer Instancing Issue

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
GriffinTwoSix
Reactions:

Post by GriffinTwoSix »

Hi all,

Myself and a friend successfully direct connected via IP, selected generals and scenario, then launched into the scenario.  However, it appears on launch that we are ending up in 2 separate instances of the same battle.  So, we are not actually in the same game, I am an AI in his game, and he an AI in mine.  The troop movements we witness are not actually the same either, so it appears that though being direct connected and launching together, we end up in separate games.  How is this possible? Is there anything we can try to resolve this?

Thanks,
Zeke
GriffinTwoSix
Reactions:

Post by GriffinTwoSix »

I should add, we are running the same version of the game, no mods or anything that would interfere. I actually did a fresh install just to insure. And we also tried multiple scenarios to make sure it wasn't a problem with the individual scenario.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Sounds like you both are playing single-player MP.  Someone must 'Host' then have the other player or players join the hosting room.  Then the host selects the scenaro and all select their officers.  Are you following this hosting  procedure?
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
GriffinTwoSix
Reactions:

Post by GriffinTwoSix »

Yeah we did follow the procedure, I had the manual open to the multiplayer section just for reference. When he hosted I joined the room that was setup, he set the scenario and we could both see each other, and both selected officers. We could both see who the other was playing as. Everything seemed normal until we got into the start of the scenario.
Biondo
Reactions:

Post by Biondo »

Did you see two stars in the upper right part of the screen?

If not, then probably you immediately disconnect from the host when the game starts.

Regards
GriffinTwoSix
Reactions:

Post by GriffinTwoSix »

Thanks! I don't believe there were stars in the upper right of my screen. I agree that this seems to be the issue, do you have anything you would recommend to try?
Biondo
Reactions:

Post by Biondo »

There's one star for every player into the game, blue for Union and red for Confederate.

If you don't see stars this mean that you're not connected. Anyway your friend should see his star.

My guess is that you disconnect as soon as the game starts and this could be due to having antivirus running or maybe it's a problem of portforwarding.

Disable all the antivirus at least for the time you're playing.

The host have to open the port, usually the 31791, on his router otherwise you can't connect to him.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...