Movement modifier breaking Use Roads

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

I'm trying to speed up the marching on all kinds of roads in Mark T.'s maps. He currently has modifiers 0.2 or close to that. In the NGCM group, our random maps are set to about 0.4-0.5 for trails/roads/etc. But when I change the modifier number in the map's csv file, the troops ignore Use Roads for anything lower than a full road. So no Use Roads for farm trails, dirt roads, railroads, etc. 

What am I missing? Thanks.
Palyarmerc
Reactions:

Post by Palyarmerc »

Try editing the Map.ini files

[Settings]
UnitPerYard=62

where they are originally set as

[Settings]
UnitPerYard=30

also there is a turbomove mod  
The attachment TurboMove.zip is no longer available
Attachments
TurboMove.zip
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Thanks but that wasn't what I was looking for. It just sped up the marching speed.

I'm wondering why changing movement modifiers on things like dirt roads and farm trails turns off the ability to "use roads" for those terrain types. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Palyarmerc
Reactions:

Post by Palyarmerc »

I had a foray in to map making, and the best way I can describe it is that it is a Core part of the Game-Engine.
Some one may be able to explain better, but essentially roads & routing can be a nightmare. The modifiers only cause the units to slow down over hedges, fences & thru marsh & water etc. If you adjust the modifier below a certain number for roads for example, the roads cease to function or be recognized as roads. It's a game engine limitation I think.

Since you wanted faster troop movement I figured your best bet was to return the modifiers to their original settings and increase UnitPerYard in the maps.ini file, or use the turbo mod.

I'm just trying to help you get a desired result using known work arounds. Adjusting the wrong modifier will un-happily just break things.

Furthermore, where roads are concerned I can tell you that I had a heck of a time getting mine to work. For the life of me they would not use the center of the road and for some reason found the grass verge the faster surface to walk on (to give you some indication of the headache it is to script)
Palyarmerc
Reactions:

Post by Palyarmerc »

In this thread on page 5, Davinci gives a good insight into roads & pathfinding problems. Might be worth a read.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

That explains it better. Thanks. I'm trying to give units a bigger benefit to using the roads, trails, paths, etc. than what's set in Mark's maps. In this case, the Bull Run map. I figured raising the modifier for those by 0.2 or 0.3 wouldn't do anything except allow units to move faster when on roads.