Removing victory requirement from carryover scenarios

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

Is it possible to modify carryover scenarios to unlock regardless of the outcome of the previous scenario (that is, whether it is a victory or defeat)? I am currently attempting to unlock "La Haye Sainte" by completing "Count d'Erlon's Attack", but the completion of d'Erlon's Attack does not appear to register (I have obtained two defeats so far on this scenario). Will "La Haye Sainte" only unlock in the case of a victory?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Open the scenario.ini file and type a ; in front of the line that begins with Carryover from...
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Yes, you have to achieve a major victory in Count D'Erlons Attack in order to unlock the La Have Sainte brigade scenario. It's actually extremely easy to beat. If you like, I can tell you how.

You can also do as Reb suggested above, but be aware since there are no carry over losses, the allies forces around La Have Sainte will be at full strength (as will you) and the farmhouse will be occupied at the start, making the scenario significantly more
difficult to win the KGL forces have good morale and they can hold up in that farmhouse for some time and it is possible for them to simply pass all their morale checks and not get run out.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

Can the casualties/positions be carried over without a Major Victory being achieved? Or are they all contained within the “carryover from” line in scenario.ini?

I’m playing these scenarios using the KS mod, so the advice you had in mind (for beating the scenario) may not be applicable in my case, although I of course appreciate the offer. I have noticed that several battalions of Brigade Schmitz are tied up by the KGL troops in La Haye Sainte, which significantly holds up the advance of Donzelot’s division.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Can the casualties/positions be carried over without a Major Victory being achieved? Or are they all contained within the “carryover from” line in scenario.ini?
Nope, without the scenario being identified how could they. And yes, you answered your own question.

Good Luck on your Major Victory quest :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri May 22, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

And there is no way to enable carryover of casualties/positions for anything less than a Major Victory (eg by modifying the carryover code)?
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I don't believe so because the major victory is what is required in the first place to unlock the brigade scenario. So even if the game remembered the casualties on a playthrough that wasn't a major victory, it still wouldn't unlock the brigade scenario
I’m playing these scenarios using the KS mod, so the advice you had in mind (for beating the scenario) may not be applicable in my case, although I of course appreciate the offer. I have noticed that several battalions of Brigade Schmitz are tied up by the KGL troops in La Haye Sainte, which significantly holds up the advance of Donzelot’s division.
It might work with the KS mod, as its not a very combat oriented strategy, its more of a cheap maneuver, but if all you're trying to do is get through the scenario with enough points to unlock the La Haye Sainte brigade scenario, you can always just disable the KS mod while getting through Count D'Erlons Attack, and then enable the KS mod again the play the brigade scenario.

Im not as certain about how engage distances with the KS mod as I am with the stock game, so its probably best to just use the stock game if all you're trying to do is get through Count D'Erlons Attack with the MV.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Anyway, if youre interested in seeing how to easily get through this scenario with enough points for a major victory, you can watch how its done in this video. Like I said it might work with the KS mod. If you know what the reaction ranges are for the KGL units in the orchard are using the KS mod and just stay outside of them, it should still work. But its guaranteed to work with the stock game.

Fast Forward to 11:30 to skip my monologue and just get to the game(God do I really talk that much??? ewww.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI7m-VsTlAw&t=36s
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

I think I can redefine the “Major Victory” condition (in terms of points) in the scenario.ini for D’Erlon’s Attack. This should allow for proper carryover to occur.