Divison Command

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
TomMann
Reactions:

Divison Command

Post by TomMann »

Greetings all, my apologies if this has been covered or I just missed it in the tutorial or manual. I am new to Chancellorsville. When I am playing as a divisional commander, when I write an order to a brigade that says "Please follow this order/ move to/ use roads/ select location on map" I select a point on the map and then... the courier rides to the brigade commander … then... nothing happens. They just stand there. Do I have to select the brigade commander then tell them with the mouse where to go and what to do? If so that seems like there is no need for the order system in the single player game (how sad). Thank you for any assistance.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Divison Command

Post by DarkRob »

Greetings all, my apologies if this has been covered or I just missed it in the tutorial or manual. I am new to Chancellorsville. When I am playing as a divisional commander, when I write an order to a brigade that says "Please follow this order/ move to/ use roads/ select location on map" I select a point on the map and then... the courier rides to the brigade commander … then... nothing happens. They just stand there. Do I have to select the brigade commander then tell them with the mouse where to go and what to do? If so that seems like there is no need for the order system in the single player game (how sad). Thank you for any assistance.
There is no need to use the written orders. Select the brigade commander(make sure he, and his battalions, err regiments are not on take charge), assign him an officer stance, open the command map(N on your keyboard) click on the location you want him to move to and he and all his troops will go there. If you want them to use roads just click on the use roads icon on the toolbar. Easy peazy.
Last edited by DarkRob on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomMann
Reactions:

Post by TomMann »

Well that is simple, its works and a bit disappointing. Thank you for the assistance.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Well that is simple, its works and a bit disappointing. Thank you for the assistance.
Why disappointed? Isnt it a lot easier that way? It makes no difference to the game how you do it, as its all the same to the game, but since there isn't really anything you can do with the pre written orders that you cant do with the command map/stances/formations commands, all it really does is make things easier for the player.

The pre written orders are more convoluted to use that's all. For instance, you were using most of the right commands, but you had them all out of order, and you were missing a formation.

For instance, in your above example. You don't need the "please follow this order'

Again with the officer and his regiments not on TC it would just be "move to"(select location), select formation, and lastly, use roads. You have to choose a formation because that is what tells him to take his regiments with him, otherwise just the brigade commander will move.

But like I said, there really isn't any reason to use them. Whether you write out "move to/location/formation" or just select the brigade commander and command map/formation, its all the same to the game.
Last edited by DarkRob on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

TomMann

I assume that you expressed disappointment because you wish to play sans toolbar, using couriers only for gameplay. Check out the KS, KriegSpiel group, they specialize in courier play and can get you through the hurtles courier play presents...It takes patient mastery to be successful and fulfilling, as I've heard. I find the gameplay 'with toolbar' challenging enough, including the immersion factor.

And Welcome, to whatever powders your musket...
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
TomMann
Reactions:

Post by TomMann »

Very fair points, but there is something more immersive in having to write the orders for me. Thank you for the clarification on order structure.
TomMann
Reactions:

Post by TomMann »

TomMann

I assume that you expressed disappointment because you wish to play sans toolbar, using couriers only for gameplay. Check out the KS, KriegSpiel group, they specialize in courier play and can get you through the hurtles courier play presents...It takes patient mastery to be successful and fulfilling, as I've heard. I find the gameplay 'with toolbar' challenging enough, including the immersion factor.

And Welcome, to whatever powders your musket...
I will surely check them out. I am coming to computer gaming from war board gaming, with The Gamers Civil War Brigade (and regimental subsystems) being my top games (it is all order writing). This game is really amazing as it is, but again for me you are correct in my wanting that more immersive gameplay. Army, corps, and (some) divisional command of the period would have been conducted with maps and couriers and I will keep trying to learn how to get that from the game. For the record it runs amazing as a brigade commander with the couriers on. My first play ran to late into the evening and started early again the next morning. Thank you as well for the assistance.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

The sequence is important, and adding a formation - from what I remember as Im a bit rusty on ACW game as dont have it installed at present. Reb is right - the KS group changed the commands to remove the formation requirement I think.

So try this sequence instead and then report back:

- general x, move this map location, form your unit into line, use roads

its the exact same order sequence as if you were moving the mouse to command troops in front of you. In normal play you:

- Select the officer with the mouse, click on the destination, click the formation for his unit (they start moving), then click use roads, or double time as required or both.
chee
Reactions:

Post by chee »

it is due to game option perhaps,,,,order function has several modes,,,side/army/division/brigade/regiment....
always we can user mouse click to give the order,,that is regiment range,,other oder style may be not so easy to use for you...
Last edited by chee on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.