Gettyburg 3 days - crash

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
falcon
Reactions:

Gettyburg 3 days - crash

Post by falcon »

I'm relatively new to this so apologies if the topic has been dealt with elsewhere (did a search but couldn't find anything). Playing this mod and perhaps I misunderstood but I thought that the game carries over into Day 2 with you at the positions from Day One. When day one ends I get the end screen with the four options. If I exit the battle and load Day Two all units are re-positioned including Federal Units I had driven off. If I let the game run on into the night it crashes after a couple of minutes of game time and reverts to the loading screen. Maybe as I said I misunderstood the idea of the carry over but if there is problem would appreciate some help.
I haven't quite achieved a major victory (few hundred points light) so don't know if that has something to do with it
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Gettyburg 3 days - crash

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks for reminding me, this set of scenarios had reported issues so I started yesterday with some re-scripting and testing. Just finished the second day with no CTD, so looks like I found the bug. I'll test the third day carryover tomorrow and post the results. If all goes well I'll get an update out by or before the weekend.

As far as your questions go, read the intros for carryover criteria. Start with Day 1, score high enough and that allows you to play the two Day 2 scenarios. Score high enough on them and the Day 3 scenarios are opened for play.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
falcon
Reactions:

Post by falcon »

Thanks for taking the time to get back me. This game seems to offer so many possibilities and I am looking forward to getting to grips with them. I scored 16800 and a bit on Day 1 which as I understand it will allow the carry over.
I am amazed at the effort and skill you and your colleagues put into these mods
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Well, late last night was my final re-scripting stab at stabilizing this set of carryover scenarios. Unfortunately it failed. The culprit, routed guns...They carryover and destabilize play. For the fix I added some extra night time at the end to give routed guns time to leave the map...They won't, they go to the edge of the map and disappear, only to reappear with the next carryover. These routed guns accumulate and by the third carryover scenario the game is unstable. And a big ugly, if a routed gun has no men, the next 'carryover to' scenario will crash shortly after opening. I do have a band-aid fix for this last crash bug...Assign at least a 10% casualty return (CarryOverCasPct=10).

As shaky as this scenario set is, I'm still determined to make it available because it's uniquely the only scenario set to use Carryover=3...Carryover previous positions. This was a later feature that I requested and was granted with a patch update, but I failed to find this 'routed guns issue' at the time so now it's pretty much broken for forever.

I'm going to do some more work on these scenarios to make them as stable as possible with a disclaimer in the beginning scenario warning of the instability. With a few fixes I really think the first two scenarios will behave OK, it's that third one that still has serious issues.

Edit: Also routed troops
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falcon
Reactions:

Post by falcon »

It takes enormous skill and knowledge just to find the problem let alone fix it. Thanks for all your efforts and keep well
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

falcon

Found the crash issue you reported...End of the second scenario, and it's fixed. Also found other CTD issues and addressed them. Lots of other scripting changes were made to improve this set of scenarios that were released seven years ago. Besides improvements, I was surprised at he number of errors and just plain bad scripting I had to rewrite. Thanks again for yanking my chain and drawing attention to these scenarios. I feel this new upgrade in B&F (version 18.98) presents the scenarios in a new light and should provide for hours of battlefield bliss without the frustration of CTDs.

Here are my end results of each of the three historically based scenarios. I didn't test the two 'Wolf Hill Line' scenarios all the way through, maybe someone will give the OK to these before I'm able to run them all the way and in sequence...hard to find eight hours of play/test time in football season.

Attention: All the upgraded scenarios have been renamed so as not to inherit the previous version's carryover issues. IOW, ya gotta start fresh from day one.

The attachment GB3DaysDay1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment GB3DaysDay2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment GB3DaysDay3.jpg is no longer available
Day Three is a BITCH! The Blue Waves keep a comin'... I had a Major Victory at one point and then my score started to plummet. Barely held on to a Victory. Don't think anyone will request a longer version. :P
Attachments
GB3DaysDay3.jpg
GB3DaysDay3.jpg (309.57 KiB) Viewed 180 times
GB3DaysDay2.jpg
GB3DaysDay2.jpg (311.83 KiB) Viewed 180 times
GB3DaysDay1.jpg
GB3DaysDay1.jpg (311.85 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falcon
Reactions:

Post by falcon »

RebBugler

Thanks for this and the courtesy of getting back to me. As I said before I'm new to this so unlikely to replicate your scores but look forward to giving it a try. Enjoy your football, I'm assuming you mean that strange sport where men dress up like space marines and bang into each other a lot rather than the real football played over here. Hope your team does well and unless they are the Pats enjoy losing to them in the Superbowl :laugh: