How to install mods *updated for 2018* [text and images to assist]

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
amel1005
Reactions:

How to install mods *updated for 2018* [text and images to assist]

Post by amel1005 »

Howdy,

I'm new around here. It is amazing to see that the community is still going strong. I hope to contribute where I can. I'm starting out by posting this tutorial. While I know that it is far from difficult to install mods once you get it, we can all agree that this game is anything but kind to the noob and the pinned thread is based on a video that is no longer available. If you notice I messed anything up, let me know. Happy to finally get into this game!

~Cheers Gents

Step 1
Download your choice mod. I personally needed to update RebBugler's Bugles & Flags to version XVIII. (If you are just starting out, this would be a great mod to include in your mod list as it makes the game that much more intuitive.)

Once downloaded, ensure that you Unzip the file. 7Zip is FREE to download. Set the folder aside on the your desktop.

Step 2
Navigate to your SOWG main folder. I have my game installed on a separate SSD (my E: Drive) so you may need to look elsewhere on your computer. Inside, create a *NEW* folder titled "Mods".

Step 3
Drag the unzipped mod folder from your desktop into the newly created "Mods" folder.

Step 4
Start up SOWG and navigate to the "Modifications" page. Once there, you will see all the mods that you have installed in the "Mods" folder. You can enable/disable each mod individually with ease using either the on screen buttons, or your mouse.

YOU ARE DONE. ENJOY YOUR GAME.
B) B) B)

~Alex
Last edited by amel1005 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I am an idiot and can't proof read my work. :)
"Say to General Hancock for me, that I have done him, and you all a grevious injury, for which I shall always regret."

-Lewis "Lo" Armistead
Jolly
Reactions:

Re: How to install mods *updated for 2018* [text and images to assist]

Post by Jolly »

A very useful tutorial and reference for people - well done!

David(jolly)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I'm not sure if it really matters, but I usually keep all of the "Activated" Mods at the top, and the "UN-Selected" Mods at the bottom.

Also, I never activate more than one Map at a time, when I want to play on another Map, the previous map will be De-activated and moved down.
The attachment 1_2018-08-21.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
1_2018-08-21.jpg
1_2018-08-21.jpg (170.01 KiB) Viewed 167 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
tominrichmond
Reactions:

Post by tominrichmond »

Awesome. Helpful, I think sometimes the experienced gamers and more tech-savvy folks forget to lay out a very basic, step by step guide for those of us more tech challenged folks.