Game crashes

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
cliometrician
Reactions:

Game crashes

Post by cliometrician »

I brought this problem to the Matrix Games Helpdesk, but they did not know the answer and suggested I try here.

The game has been working perfectly fine until I changed an Order of Battle. A friend and I have been using the same OB in MP for a long time. I clicked on one of the Gettysburg OBs and went to start a solitaire sandbox game. It crashed immediately and has continued to do so for over a week.

What is unusual is that I can still play MP and I can play a Saved Game, but I can no longer create a solitaire Sandbox game.

Is there any fix you can think of other than reinstalling the game?

Thanks for any help.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Game crashes

Post by Davinci »

cliometrician - How is everything going!

Zero knowledge in MP so I will leave that to someone else.

A Saved Game will load as long as the Files that started that game had no errors in it!

You can even change some of your files and the OOB, and the Saved Game will still work but will load the OOB that was used at the start of the saved file.

There are a few errors that don't show up in the (log) file, which is probably due to a error in the OOB, or a missing flag, etc...

You shouldn't have to reinstall the Game based on a Mod or a OOB that doesn't work, just delete them.

Modding shouldn't affect the ( core ) files of the Game.

Can you post the OOB here?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

No, I can't post the OB here because I cannot get to that page. As soon as I click on Sandbox the game crashes immediately, so I am unable to see the list of OBs, and I can't remember which OB caused the crash. I just remember that it was some Gettysburg OB.

So how do I delete an OB?

Good to talk to you again Davinci!
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

No, I can't post the OB here because I cannot get to that page.

OK - But the OOB can be viewed from the Games directory so you don't have to start the game.

Most Players will place the OOB inside of a Mod Folder called "OOBs"
As soon as I click on Sandbox the game crashes immediately, so I am unable to see the list of OOBs, and I can't remember which OB caused the crash. I just remember that it was some Gettysburg OB.
Strange - The Game should start and allow you to choose an OOB before crashing!

Download the SDK - it should contain all of the OOBs from the game, and use those OOBs to "overwrite" the ones that you are now using.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I am sort of out of suggestions! But, one of the Team-Members might have an answer.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Ah, thanks, I did not know that about the games directory and OOBs. I will try that...I believe that should fix the problem.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

It was a roundabout way but the problem is finally fixed. I went into the SDK and ended up eliminating every Gettysburg scenario I could find. The problem was still there--game still crashed. I then went to the Mods folder and eliminated all Gettysburg scenarios. Problem persisted.

Then came the solution, by luck. I went to modifications on the menu and unclicked two different historical scenario mods. That did it. The Sandbox game now works.

So my friend and I will get to continue to play MP with our favorite OOB that we have been playing for more than a year: Peninsula 1862, Glendale, Jackson What If, but now I can continue to play solitaire.

Thank you Davinci for your aid.