Game is broken please help.

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
scalexer
Reactions:

Game is broken please help.

Post by scalexer »

I accidentally posted this on the Waterloo discussions forum at first.

I've reinstalled my game at least 9 times at this point and it doesn't work it won't even launch the game.I think it has something to do with some files labeled ".ts1 through 3" and "update.data" which may be in the wrong location. I can't find any solution to this problem anywhere. I've deleted all recent files multiple times and reinstalled off of my DVD copy of the game and downloaded the game off of the matrix members website to install it, but nothing works.I'm started to get irritated because I own the 150th Anniversary Edition which cost me about $80, if I remember correctly. This game is too expensive for it to not work. The first time i installed it it worked for a good long while, but then it crashed one day and it's never worked since. I'm on a windows 10 desktop. Which I don't know the specs of, but it's only a year old by now so that shouldn't matter at least for this game.

Please help me. I'm on the verge of giving up on this game despite how much I love it and the time period it's set in.

I think the problem is with the installation.
mkeogh76
Reactions:

Re: Game is broken please help.

Post by mkeogh76 »

Do you have McAfee anti-virus on your PC? If, yes, then that could be the problem.

For many, McAfee has been IDing Gettysburg's .exe file as a Trojan and thus quarantining it. Gettysburg worked fine on my PC until some McAfee update changed how it recognized the .exe file. And without the .exe file then the game won't even start.

My workaround is remove Gettysburg's .exe file from quarantine and then turn-off McAfee's real-time scanning while playing the game. After I'm done playing, I turn McAfee back-on and it inevitably re-quarantines Gettysburg's .exe despite it being on its "don't scan" list.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Game is broken please help.

Post by Saddletank »

Alternatively use a different anti-virus suite.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.