Scenario Design - General Questions

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
the reb
Reactions:

Scenario Design - General Questions

Post by the reb »

Was not sure how to title this.....but more to follow!!!!

I wanted to redo an Antietam Confederate Army Stock Scenario AN17, so I copied, and noticed that some Union units were "Take Charge from AI" and other Union unit did not....While positioning troops in my new scenario, I noticed that troops were moving, but figured out that it may be because I copied a scenario with commands written...right?

So I went to a Sandbox game and moved the troops as I learned....Question is....If I'm setting this up as the Confederate Army....does it matter whether Union Troops are "Take Charge form AI" or not?

thanks,
the reb...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Scenario Design - General Questions

Post by RebBugler »

Rename the Battlescript while you're designing the new setup, along with turning off the AI and turning on Alpha Omega.
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Gettysburg forum perhaps?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

What does Alpha Omega do? And if I'm setting the scenario up as the Confederate Army....does it matter whether Union Troops are "Take Charge form AI" or not?

Thanks,
the reb
Los
Reactions:

Post by Los »

It allows you to command both sides. This is very useful to marching and setting up forces exactly the way you want them, then press L to. dump the start locations to a csv, then paste those locations into the scenario csv.

Warning, this should be used in conjunction with turning off he ai, NOAI 1, to avoid wrestling with commanders and Regts doing heir own thing. In this mode the troops will not shoot or react in the presence of enemy forces, and all commander ai us turned off.

And despite what has been said around here about problems, you CAN fight a full battle on both sides using alpha omega. I've done it a number of times up to multiple corps per side with no problems.

In my pbem campaign, in some of the battles I play both sides following the orders of the opposing commanders and giving them updates, sometime cell phone texts with pics of the map or what they see from the saddle. Alpha omega allows me to do this without having to set up a Lan battle. And I can save the battles and pick them back up again whenever. Quite a nice feature!

Los
Last edited by Los on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

I have a very good understanding so far regarding placing troops on the map, and maintaining their formation, position, etc. In short, successful making four playable scenarios.

Now I need to understand how to add reinforcements onto the map at any specific time and location. I reviewed several standard scenarios but really can't get the drift of it.

Any "easy to understand" tutorials on this? Any help appreciated....

thanks,
the reb
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

I reviewed the Battlescript File and believe most of my questions above are somewhat answered in the Command Column. But where can one get definitions of the commands, some are obvious, most are not? For example, what is the difference between "showunit" and Ashowunit"? What's immortal, tcommon, Amoveto, etc?

Looks like you need to match the ID Name in Column A with the same name appearing in the scenario file.

thanks,
georgerutherford1861
Reactions:

Post by georgerutherford1861 »

Check out the pdf that comes with the Software Development Kit (SDK).

I believe this is the appropriate thread that will point you towards the download.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... er-16-beta

I'm still working with an older version (lazy I guess), but the back of the pdf that comes with it includes descriptions of the commands.

Doug
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

thank you georgerutherford....I now remember seeing this a long time ago, but dismissed it because it was to much over my head....I will review....Your help is appreciated....

the reb..
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I'm just curious as to what you were wanting to re-do?

By the way, I'm considering creating a full open Union Army scenario for the anniversary coming up. That means the full 11 hours battle from the Union perspective, and all forces available from the start. So basically you can do the opposite of what McClellan did, and instead of attack in piece meal, attack aggressively, and bag the whole Confederate Army. :evil:

Would that be something folks would enjoy playing?