First Bull Run scenario modification question

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
the reb
Reactions:

Re: First Bull Run scenario modification question

Post by the reb »

Another question to Saddletaank or anyone else who can help me. As Saddletank explained...."built manually by running the game....". What is meant by "running the game"? That is, do I have to use existing scenarios and modify? Does this work in Sandbox? Basically, how do you get started?

thanks,
Leffe7
Reactions:

Post by Leffe7 »

Hey Reb

I found this old post which can be of use to you if you want to "manually" create a scenario.
http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t265-mp-scenario-creation-tutorial#1796
Replace Part 3 with part 5.

Regards
Leffe7
Last edited by Leffe7 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Thanks Leffe7....To be honest, it looks intimidating.....and I assume this is what Saddletank was referring to. I'll give this a try next rainy day....guess I can't really screw up anything existing?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Make a new OOB by renaming an existing one and save it as a Mod called "NewOOB" with a folder inside that called "OOBs" and put your OOB in there and activate that mod. Then you can't screw anything up. You don't touch any of the stock scenarios. Yes, it can look intimidating at first but once you've done the process a couple of times it becomes like riding a bike. ;)

If you need any help I can talk via PMs or you could get me on the KS server teamspeak. Talking is a lot quicker than typing!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

To All....

I'm making progress...Made and proofed the scenario as it's recognized within User Scenarios. But stuck at 2.4 as I cannot find [INIT] in any scenario file? May have trouble finding Debug Mode. If I can find these two file locations, I should have most of it.... Thanks Saddletank
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Those sections are in the file SoWGB.ini which is in Norbsoft\Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Work folder (or you might have it under Matrix). It opens with Notepad and you need two sections:

[Init] or as I have [Initialization]

and

[Debug]

under debug are these parameters:

AutoGameDB=1
MPLog=1
DbgLvl=2
DrawTiles=0
NoAI=0
AlphaOmega=0

The Dbglvl just gives you extra useful data on the top left of the screen, you can cycle it off while playing using the U key.

NoAI and AlphaOmega should be manually set to '1' (without the quotes) when you are building and testing a scenario. They let you move the troops of both sides and turn the AI off so opposing troops don't go into combat when they meet. If you are positioning troops on a map, units of both sides will happily march along the same road together.

Set these variables back to '0' when you want to fight the battle.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

I do appreciate the time you guys are offering, but I'm at a standstill, dazed, and confused.

***The following is in my scenario configuration settings within the scenario I created. Somewhat matches what 2.4 within the tutorial is stating.

[init]
lvl1grade=-40000
carryover=0
lvl6grade=-5000
lvl3grade=-20000
map=FBSC
strategicai=1
lvl2grade=-30000
weather=2
starttime=06:00:00
lvl5grade=-10000
failgrade=-40000
lvl4grade=-15000
sandbox=4
sandboxsize=4

I have no lines indicating noai or alphaOmega in any file.....

***In Part 3 of the tutorial it states "TO ADD" Debug Mode if not there? Do I add these lines? If yes, in configuration settings?

[Debug]
AutoGameDB=1
MPLog=1
DbgLvl=2
DrawTiles=0
NoAI=0
AlphaOmega=0

***As far as the SOWGB Notepad document in Work Folder. The closest I have is within a stand alone single file titled sowgb - Notepad.

[Initialization]
Full Screen=1
Screen Res=0
AntiA=0
Anso=0

Does any of this help?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, the noai, etc entries are in the debug section as I explained above.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Thanks Saddletank....Stay with me as I have PROGRESSED....I added the Debug Lines to Notepad and got to the point where both armies are on the map and I can move both armies to any location.

Here my issue....

So I've spent 30 minutes moving troops, I saved file under Sandbox, and shutdown the game. When I launch from User Scenario, I still get my two armies but no changes, armies start from the beginning positions. When I launch from the Saved Sandbox Game, I can continue on with the changes?

What should be happening at this point or what should I be doing next?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

When your armies are in position hit the 'L' key which dumps the startlocs file (starting locations). This will be in the Gettysburg\Work folder as a .csv file opened best using Excel.

Open it and then open the scenario.csv file you have saved in your sandbox scenario (BTW best to rename your sandbox folder to a useful scenario name or it will get over-written).

In the startlocs.csv file you are interested in columns C,D,E and F. Highlight these columns starting at ROW2 and by holding down the left mouse button, drag down and across so these 4 columns are highlighted down to the last data row. Check how many rows this is before you release the mouse button. Now with these cells highlighted hit ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard. Next, with your scenario.csv open, find columns O,P,Q and R. These are the corresponding unit location columns in the scenario file. Highlight these four columns from ROW3 (note, this is different from the ROW2 in the startlocs file) and make them highlighted in the same way you did before. Check you have the exact same number of rows. While they are highlighted hit Ctrl+V and this will paste the clipboard contents onto the highlighted cells.

This is taking the saved positions from your manually moved armies and pasting those positions into the original scenario game.

Now go to column G in startlocs and highlight this, again from ROW2 only to the last entry. paste this data into column U of the scenario file but from ROW3 again, as before. As you manoeuvred your units across the map you probably changed some unit/brigade/division formations. Copying the formation column preserves this too.

Save your scenario file.

Open the game, run your scenario and check the units are in the right places.

Enjoy.

Note: be aware that for some MP scenarios the positioning of division formations is limited but for SP I think you are okay whatever sandbox mode you use.
Last edited by Saddletank on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.