First Bull Run scenario modification question

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
georgerutherford1861
Reactions:

First Bull Run scenario modification question

Post by georgerutherford1861 »

Hello everyone,

I've been working on a conversion of the Evans scenario from the TC2M Community Mod Patch 3 version to SOW (using Mark Tewes' very nice Bull Run map). I've been able to work through just about everything except for the unit starting positions. I realize that I could maneuver all of the units to their respective starting positions, but I thought I would try something different.

Taking one unit as the starting point (Evans himself in this case), I used the scenario OOB's starting positions and found the distance (x and z) separating each unit from the starting point. Then, using the coordinate for where Evans should be as a starting point on Mark Tewes' map, I add or subtract the x and z distances appropriately, which should give me the correct starting positions for all of the other units.

The dilemma is that so far it is not working out for me, so I thought I would pose the question to you smart folks here. Here are the assumptions I have been using, based on info I have gleaned from various posts.

TC2M map coordinate system starts from the lower left corner and increases in the x and z axes as you move right and up. The map's units convert using 32 units per yard.

SOW map coordinate system starts from the upper right corner and increases in the x and z axes as you go right and down. The map's units convert using 30 units per yard.

I've properly accounted for the difference in how the z axis works. The units appear to be in the correct direction from where Evans is at, but they are not far enough away in the z axis (x axis looks like it might be correct). The map from TC2M was the 1st_Bull_Run_Hist map. I'm kind of stumped.

I can always go back and march the units to their positions to get them figured out, but I thought that if I could get a way for a spreadsheet to adjust the starting positions that I could get through more scenarios faster.

Thank you all in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Doug
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: First Bull Run scenario modification question

Post by Saddletank »

Personally, when designing scenarios I just don't bother with such accuracy. Take a look at the unit layouts from a TC2M map and then place them approximately where you think they should be in SoWGB. That will be good enough. The huge number of variables that begin to accumulate once a player starts a scenario will make time spent on extremely accurate placement something of a wasted effort.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

What scenario generator is being discussed here?

thanks,
the reb
Los
Reactions:

Post by Los »

I agree with saddletank.

Honestly Just set Noai and alpha omega and March the guys where you want them at 4x time speed and press L when you are all set. It's fast and simple. I am running an online campaign right now and gunning up many battles very quickly using this method.

However you can always March a few guys to known points and use the method I explain above,then double check your grid system using the startlos.csv file to see if your estimates Match the reality of the map's grid system.
Los
Last edited by Los on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah I agree completely what the others have said. But the big show-stopper with trying to calculate X,Y location etc., the TC2M maps are 2.5 x 2.5 mile, while Mark's Bull Run map is 5x5 mile.

A little trick I always use when placing troops in GB scenarios: Create a little mod with the unitglobal.csv, and set all units run speed to 1000. They'll get to where you want them to be A LOT faster. :)
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

May I kindly ask again, what scenario generator is being used here? Leffe's only allows you three Corps, I would like more Corps per army.

thanks,
the reb
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

No scenario generator is being used, the scenario is being built manually by running the game with noai=1 and alphaomega=1 in the SoWGB.ini file. It allows you to move both sides and they don't fight - perfect for moving forces to where you want them for a scenario. You then hit the 'L' key to save the startlocs file and modify the scenario file using that.

99% of my scenarios are created this way, its pretty quick and easy and with the unitglobal hi-speed mod Little Powell suggests, even quicker!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
georgerutherford1861
Reactions:

Post by georgerutherford1861 »

Sorry about not replying earlier, yes as Saddletank says no scenario generator is being used, this is just brute force conversion of the scenario files from a Take Command 2nd Manassas scenario to Scourge of War.

I might try piddling around a bit more with doing the math, otherwise I will drive on with the superspeed suggestion above. The info about the 2.5x2.5 versus 5x5 map is useful though. Were most or all TC2M maps 2.5x2.5?

Doug
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Were most or all TC2M maps 2.5x2.5?
All of them were. 5 mile maps weren't introduced until Scourge Of War: Gettysburg. The first 5 mile map was Alpine, next the full Gettysburg map that was included in the ECF patch. Afterwards, all SOW maps have been 5 miles.
Last edited by Little Powell on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Thank you very much Saddletank. Is the "Unitglobal Hi-speed Mod" downloadable? I did a search but came up empty.

reb...