3D object collision radius plus no go greyscales

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Crikey
Reactions:

3D object collision radius plus no go greyscales

Post by Crikey »

2 questions for NSD I'm afraid.

Q1 Have you changed the way the game recognises a collision radius set in power render? SoWWL troops march through walls and hedges (and some houses) even though I've set a wide collision radius in PR to force them to move around. Frustrating. See screenie below.

Q2. Alternatively, is there a greyscale that actually stop troops entering a zone completely? Zero, which is mentioned on the map.csv doesn't seem effective. Nor does 25.

Appreciate some advice as I'm wasting a great deal of time on this. :(
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: 3D object collision radius plus no go greyscales

Post by Little Powell »

Hi crikey. Nothing has been changed, this has always been buggy since the early days of GB.

Q1 - Think of it this way - Setting a collision radius on an object "discourages" troops to walk through them. But it doesn't always work that way. Especially objects close together like a wall you have circled, or a row of buildings. The troops will often find a crack in between the wall or building to try and walk through.

Q2 - As far as a greyscale, you will have some success adding a 1 pixel wide 25 color around something you want troops to walk around. This was designed for rivers and streams. The greyscale must also connect to the road network. This method works well for rivers and lakes, but buildings/walls, it's hit or miss.

Unfortunately there's really no perfect solution here. Just takes some experimenting to find an imperfect method that works best.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks LP.

That's helpful. I can stop looking for a 3D object solution that isn't there. Much appreciated. B)
Last edited by Crikey on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I can stop looking for a 3D object solution that isn't there. Much appreciated. B)
Crikey - How is everything!

You might be able to place down logs with a radius in front of the walls to prevent the units from walking through them, you can probably also place some of the logs slightly below ground level.

I would also say that boulders should also probably work.

I wouldn't use the grayscale of 25 for that, there has always been huge problems with that grayscale.

As far as I remember there was never a grayscale to prevent units from walking, only a grayscale column to prevent the units from stopping on a certain part of the map.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks D

It's very odd. My memory isn't what it was but I'm sure these worked in TCM2 but I'll try that work around. It's like the game ignores any collision radius set in PR. I've overlapped them etc. Set bigger ones in supporting files. Bizarre.

:pinch:
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Update.

D - no luck with the log or rock solution. Now there's an odd phrase. :)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Update.

D - no luck with the log or rock solution. Now there's an odd phrase. :)
Out of town today so I can't experiment with this till tonight.

Question - Did you try the same thing with the previous game and get the same results?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

D - I'll email you. :)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I wouldn't use the grayscale of 25 for that, there has always been huge problems with that grayscale.
I agree it wouldn't be best for buildings, but it actually works quite well for streams/rivers/lakes if setup correctly.