Terran types, what do they do?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Hiram C. Berdan
Reactions:

Terran types, what do they do?

Post by Hiram C. Berdan »

I can't seem to find any information about what the various types of terrain do. I know they slow down movement and protect from oncoming fire, but to what degree I can't say.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Terran types, what do they do?

Post by Little Powell »

Hi Hiram. This is a good question, and these should probably be better documented somewhere.

Basically there are three terrain factors that have an effect on units - Movement rate, defensive value, and fatigue penalty. Roads are the only terrain type that offer a faster movement rate. They also do not give a fatigue penalty, as most other terrain types (besides open fields) do. You can tell if a terrain type gives a defensive bonus by the little icon that will show on the toolbar. Fences, breastworks (in GB) give a defense bonus, Hedges, Forts, in Waterloo give defense bonuses. Also, terrain like woods, dense crops etc. have visibility limits.

That basically sums it up. Again, I wish we had the exact values documented somewhere. If you really want to get into it, you can open the map CSV files that come with the SDK. The terrain types are all listed with their different values.
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.