Designing Scenarios for all the Napoleonic Wars

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
gunship24
Reactions:

Re: Designing Scenarios for all the Napoleonic Wars

Post by gunship24 »

I have an idea of a mod that i want to do but not until later in the year.
MarshalJean
Reactions:

Post by MarshalJean »

The KS Napoleon mod has a number of OOBs, 1806(Jena-Auerstadt), 1807(Eylau-Friedland), Peninsula campaign, 1809(Wagram-Raab), 1812(Borodino) and Waterloo. I've built several of these and it is a lot of tedious work. I'm waiting for some unsuspecting mark to volunteer for the granddaddy of all, Leipzig. That one would require some new sprites.
Since I've never owned an SoW title (and I still don't), I guess I didn't realize how hard it was to create OoBs with the system. That's really unfortunate, in my opinion, to have such great graphical representation of this period, along with the true tactics and strategies used (esp. with the new Sandbox campaign system), and yet not give the average player (who doesn't know how to mod) the ability to create his own OoBs to fight historical battles. I can understand it being very hard to give the player the ability to create great maps (because of the graphical difficulties), but OoBs should be much easier, to me, than it sounds like it is. I obviously have very little understanding of the complexities "beneath the hood" of this game. I'm too used to Histwar Napoleon, I guess, where creating an OoB is a piece of cake.

Honestly, if the devs would create a system where making OoBs and maps from any portion of the 1805-15 era were possible and straightforward for the average player, I would buy this game and all of its new release material in a heartbeat. But I guess I'm asking for a game that SoW is not seeking to be. Again, my ignorance. :unsure:
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Actually it is very easy to create an OOB. It is all the time spent typing in the unit names and stats that makes it a very tedious job. Most OOBs have 1-2000 units.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Holdit
Reactions:

Post by Holdit »

Actually it is very easy to create an OOB. It is all the time spent typing in the unit names and stats that makes it a very tedious job. Most OOBs have 1-2000 units.
Sounds like Tiller Napoleonic OOBs, and then there's the time spend tracking down the one error in a 1500-line OOB that's stopping the game from loading it... Although I think the .csv format might assist with error-avoidance.

Paul
gazfun202
Reactions:

Post by gazfun202 »

Hi Jean
I guess a successfull moding comunity depends on the number of people in it, so we can help each other through some difficult or perceived dificulties and support of the devlopling team.
So far all is promising
Ive only had SOW a few weeks.
Have fun above all else
Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by Volunteer »

Modders, who share their inspired efforts, are the movers and shakers of a thriving community. I have no competency in computing and can therefore be only appreciative and thankful for modders' efforts.

There could be good times ahead! :)