battalions marching through each other

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
oho
Reactions:

battalions marching through each other

Post by oho »

...wihtout penalty. No cohesion loss, no speed loss. In TC Gettysburgh it was way better if I remember correctly. Are you in any way working on a fix, so that a unit stops when lines start to cross each other. I'm not talking about the end of the lines but flags getting very close to each other.
Maybe it can use detection routines for enemy units to stop a unit at least and wait, until the friendly unit is out of the way.
Your AI beats human players, because it doesn't have to care about decent manouvering of masses of troops. It just lets the units march through each other. This is additional to the issue of using wrong formations.
I think, this game needs a lot of work to be finished. Please tell me this isn't true and you have a solution for this in the near future.
oho
Reactions:

Re: battalions marching through each other

Post by oho »

screnshots:
The attachment screen0002.jpg is no longer available
The attachment screen0009.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
screen0009.jpg
screen0009.jpg (284.3 KiB) Viewed 247 times
screen0002.jpg
screen0002.jpg (349.91 KiB) Viewed 247 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I may be wrong, but here's the change that causes this now and not in GB:

- In GB a line formation moving to a new location immediately assumed a column formation and then gradually re-assumed a line formation as it neared it's destination.

- In WL a line formation moving to a new location maintains it's line formation throughout.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

In WL a line formation moving to a new location maintains it's line formation throughout.
Reb - I was under the impression that there are invisible blocks that surrounded the units and this is what stopped them from marching through each other.

Has this particular-feature been removed from the game?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

Randy is right, this is one of reasons, march colums when out of shooting range were more commmon in GB, and this formation doesn't overlap.

Another reason (a part the battalions dimension) is that brigades were composed in average by less subunits and single line was the fighting formation for the brigade: so regiment if the brigade are not placed in volunteer mode one over the other, have less possibility to collide: at parity of space there were less units presents.

At third reason is that the tactical setting for Gettysburg was aimed, in accord to Civil War more frequent practic, to shot at long distance, so regiment stop immediatly at the moment they enter in targeting area and movements inside this area given from the players were blocked almost immediatly from the pathfinding checks (not only because of friends, also enemies, so march against a enemy was impossible, and shooting areas were halting reasons).

>Please tell me this isn't true and you have a solution for this in the near future

I can assure I will never stop to work in order to reduce or better stop overlap cases, is not like I like them too, but it was easy stop them without create conflicts with the gameplay they would have already disappeared.
Last edited by mitra76 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

This is one of top 5 list of "things should be improvd"

1. Units moving throuh eachother.
2. Cav not doing enough damage in mele with infantry
3. Arty not doing enouh damage at non canister range
4. Uordely brigade formations.
5. LOW fps.

In regards to nr 1.

Can't it be added to the ai, that when an ai unit/ or whole brigades see friendly units to the front, they will automaticaly move to the side(the side that is closest and free for frendiles)

That way the battle line will get longer and longer as both siedes spread out, and not a clump like this.

And this is after lots of units ran, it was litterly a giant lump of units in the middle as each friendly units tried to Walk through friendlies, then stop and fire at the enemy, then the original friendly walks past the second ect.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hey D, glad you're helping out here. If you haven't, add drawtiles=0 to your sowwl.ini file to observe the tiles. For folks interested, some other debug lines:

[debug]
alphaomega=0
drawtiles=0
dbglvl=2
benchmark=0
showfortmen=0
mplog=1
noai=0

Regarding the tiles, yes, they are the key component to pathing, both for GB and WL. They are responsible for keeping troops from overlapping and crossing over one another. However, as this thread and screenshots point out they are not perfect. If you turn on (drawtiles=1) tiling you can see the following:

1) when engagements happen tiles turn on and create a firing zone, however, tiles only block flags from crossing these firing fronts, so units in line marching parallel to a unit engaged will have their flank extended into the fire zone. IOW, flag is obeying tiles, but exposed flank isn't.

2) tiles turn on for movement thus preventing collisions between moving units

At this point in time I prefer to not state my preferences or make promises. Just trying to lay out the facts as I see them, provide some tools so folks can have a deeper look, and let everyone form their own opinions on how to better the game.

And lobby you may do...have at it. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

Can't it be added to the ai, that when an ai unit/ or whole brigades see friendly units to the front, they will automaticaly move to the side(the side that is closest and free for frendiles)

Is not the so linear unluckily; you can stop near a friend but can be a friend of another brigade you move near him and in the meantime the rest of your brigade move far. The point is not stop is what do after the stop: you stop and you reset your destination: you must cover all the possible situations without transforming the movement in a big highway queue.
Last edited by mitra76 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
sifis172
Reactions:

Post by sifis172 »

This is one of top 5 list of "things should be improvd"

1. Units moving throuh eachother.
2. Cav not doing enough damage in mele with infantry
3. Arty not doing enouh damage at non canister range
4. Uordely brigade formations.
5. LOW fps.

i totally agree with 2 and 3.

i'm playing a sandbox campaign. btw i'm having a blast!! :woohoo: thank you huys for
this!!

cav should be twicked a little.
about artillery i think that it should be upped a little bit
in longer ranges. i played a battle in whic i had about 40 cannons
bombarding the ennemy at ranges between 400 to 700 yards (or is it meters?).
the target was 4 ennemy cavalry squadrons and 2 infantry battallions.
it took me about 45-60 minutes to rout the ennemy cavalry.
and it took also some infantry being send to rout the ennemy infantry.
i had to re-supply each artilley company, for the bombardment to continue.
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Post by Bloody Bill »

Regarding cav. In the Napoleonic era they should be at the Regimental level and give the user the option to separate into squadrons. More like the infantry battalions and how they split. Cav in this period normally engaged with the entire regiment either in contact or direct support and the way it is set up now the cav just does not perform correct and has no Napoleonic feel to them. Lots of time the Heavy cav was thrown in at Brigade strength that is how they could break a square.