Resources -> Battlefield tactics

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Iriasthor
Reactions:

Resources -> Battlefield tactics

Post by Iriasthor »

Hi,

I am quite new to the Napoleonic wars and its battlefield tactics. As such, I often find myself in a mess and easily overrun by the AI, which seems to do much better than me.

I am looking for a guide, book, article, etc. that might show the basic and more advanced tactical and strategical aspects of an early XIX century battlefield.

Could anybody recommend be an appropriate resource?
IronBMike
Reactions:

Re: Resources -> Battlefield tactics

Post by IronBMike »

CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Petrus58
Reactions:

Post by Petrus58 »

I'd second Muir's work - one of the best around.
Iriasthor
Reactions:

Post by Iriasthor »

I have taken a look to its description on Amazon and some of the reviews. It looks good, I might check it, thanks!
Holdit
Reactions:

Post by Holdit »

Another vote for Muir, and one for this, a more serious academic treatment of not just Napoleonic tactics, but why the worked and how they evolved:

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Tactics-Na ... 0094772401

I'll also put in a little plug for one of the books that got me into the period:

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-Campaig ... X0BSCQDW3V

Cheap and cheerful, it has some history, battle maps, a chapter on how various armies were organised, and the different troop types and their roles. It's aimed at miniatures gamers, but if you're new to Napoleonics, it's a great introduction to the period.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Here is another good book that covers everything in a very accessible way - lots of maps! It also gives explanations of how each country's military functioned and evolved through the wars. It is a great starter book and has some very pretty maps. It has a few typos here and there (I think because of language translation), but overall I highly recommend it for a general overview.

http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Atlas- ... leonic+Era
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

Remember this is really two games in one.

As brigade or divisional general, you will deal with formations, single battalions. Ordering skirmishes ect.

But as an army general you move whole divisions. You job to to locate the enemy and get local numerical superiority. This is done with a mix of just feeding more troops into the meat grinder, and blocking enemy troops from combining.

Take the battle i have now as Napoleon, i have taken the town, and I'm attacked. In total i have more troops, but locally we are even.

So i feed more troops into the frontal battle, i also found an hanoverian division strung out on the march, i needed to stop them from reenforcing my main battle i found a division close by, blocked them, now the hanoverians have slight numerical superiority, but they are low quality troops, while one division engage them, i have time to bring up another one.

I now have 70% more troops localy, and i have arty which they don't. They are cut of and now i have also gotton a brigade of cav. I have more troops and all 3 branches. They are toast. I don't have total control of the main battle yet (but its getting there)

But that mini battle againt the hanoverians will make a major victory much more likely.

I have a similar battle on the other side of the main battle, againt the nasseu. Still havnt totaly trapped them yet. But hopefully i will.
as an army commander i don't concern my self with small scale tactics.

A corps commander is a mini army commander, so mostly feeding troops, semi large flanking ect. But with a little more options for micro management.
Seydlitz
Reactions:

Post by Seydlitz »

Or you go here which as a lot of information for free.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/index.html