WL02: (Bonaparte @ Hougoumont) French AI inactivity?

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Skyhigh
Reactions:

WL02: (Bonaparte @ Hougoumont) French AI inactivity?

Post by Skyhigh »

In this part of the battle, where there are 2 objectives (Hougoumont and a position on the Allied right) I tried the alternative strategy and send Soye to attack the Allied Right objective.
I thought some cavalry assistance might be helpful but my multiple requests by Courier to Pire or even Reille were ignored - in fact during my 45 min slaughterfest the whole Corps of Reille didn't move a single bit except for the batteries firing at the farmhouses.

Is this OK behaviour?
sifis172
Reactions:

Re: WL02: (Bonaparte @ Hougoumont) French AI inactivity?

Post by sifis172 »

yes, i think that in this scenario you can only have
your starting force. the ones that stay behind may be
trigerred by a counter-attack?

in the starting screen map, you see all the forces that
are available for you in each scenario.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

This is correct in this scenario. You have command of only the 6eme Division. Pire historically had the mission of picketing the French left flank. He would have been derelict in his duty to have left that post without direct orders. Otherwise it is at the discretion of the Corps CO as to when or if he responds to requests from junior commanders.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Skyhigh
Reactions:

Post by Skyhigh »

Allright - pretty frustrating for the little Bonaparte then :)
However, a reply (at least from Reille) saying: "good luck sir, you are on your own for now" would be nice.

Also, playing with HITS, when I send Couriers with Status Requests to Bauduin's replacement or Soye, I don't get any replies either. They do say when they engaged etc., but when I ask "whassaaap, how's stuff going?" there is just silence.