Officers

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Re:Officers

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Jim wrote:

For MP, Mods are probably not going to work, although we have to test this. The role of a Corps CO depends on the number of subordinate units and the number of players. If you have players for all the slots, then your role is to give them their orders and adjust as needed. If you don't have all of the command positions taken, you can issue orders to any AI commanded unit, just as you can in SP.

-Jim
I am sure you mean by that modded/added formations won't work in MP right? Not that mods in general do not work in MP.

VC
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

We are not sure at this point how/if mods will work in MP. Because of the way the MP works, the players have to have exactly the same game files or the game falls out of synchronization. With the base game, this can be ensured, but with mods we just don't know how that's going to work. It *should* work, but it is an unexplored area at this point in time. We don't want to promise what we are not fairly sure we can deliver on.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Yes definetly all players need to have the same files so if a mod is made all players in MP should have it installed. It woul be worth looking into it as this will help increase the size of the community of war3D and attract people that might be interested by the engine by want a different era.
VC
Farm Boy
Reactions:

Post by Farm Boy »

Joshua l.Chamberlain wrote:
so lets say you are a corps commander in mp and you have a person under you who is in command of a division do you loos all control of that division except for courier commands wich they may not follow.

Interested in this topic as well !!

How will the commands and controls work in MP ??

IMO if I was in command of a divison under someone playin as a corps commander I wouldnt want him to beable to have any control over my divison... If I was in the process of movin bridages or regiments or in a battle that would really mess up my concentration and plans if he randomly started moving my bridages or regiments... Would really be frustrating and purdy much make me madder than a hornet.. He cant think like me so I may be planning something he dont know about on the fly or we have a different style... It would also be more historical accurate cause each commander had there own style and personality.. Plus if the corps commander gave me a crappy order I think I have the choice to follow it or not...

I think this would encourage the formation of Clans and Such... So you have people fighting with you that you trust and people can be promoted within the clans and etc.. It'll encourage a whole another aspect of the game for all of us..

Farm Boy

"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel"
- Jefferson Davis inaugural speech on February 16, 1861
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

If you are division and a friend is corp, he won't be able to move you or your division. If another division is controlled by the AI, he would be able to command them.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

How will the MP menue work will a game be setup then you wait for some people you choose your place (command)how does that work will it be a thing that shows up saying who is who or what?
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The person who is hosting selects the scenario or sandbox oob. Then a list of valid commanders appears. Each player selects the leader they want by clicking on the name. Their player name then shows up next to the leader. When all are selected, the host starts the battle. The AI picks up any non-selected units.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Would it be manditory to have more than yourself as a live player in MP? Would the play of the MP, as suggested, be played the same as SP sandlot?

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

hoistingman4 wrote:
Would it be manditory to have more than yourself as a live player in MP? Would the play of the MP, as suggested, be played the same as SP sandlot?

Hoistingman4
Yes, I haven't tried starting a MP game with only myself in it, but if 2 people are playing a MP game and one person drops out, the game continutes just as if you were playing against the computer.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I wonder what would happen if you un-TC or whatever it is in this new game your commander in MP? Would it act by the AI?
Hancock the Superb