Observations on formations

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Holdit
Reactions:

Observations on formations

Post by Holdit »

I've been playing around with the various options for formations and would like to post a few observations. I'll post this on the Matrix Games SOWWL forums too - apologies if this counts as double-posting, I'm not sure of the etiquette yet.

First of all, kudos to the developers for giving us column of divisions and the British four-rank line, indicating that this isn't just the ACW in a shako and a more colourful uniform. There are, however, a few issues, but ones which I imagine wouldn't be too hard to fix.

Column and Line

One important aspect of arranging a Napoleonic brigade into column was to leave enough room between the component battalions to allow each to deploy into line without overlapping its neighbour(s). In SOWWL, however (and, I think, in the ACW titles), a brigade going into column of divisions has each of the columns rubbing shoulders with its neighbours. As a result, forming line involves each battalion marching to a new location (to make room), instead of just shaking out its companies into line. Note the lack of deployment room in this image.

Compare that with a formation where the battalions have been moved from line to column of divisions so that they're in the locations they should have been in from the start:

Single and Double Echelon

Line seems to be an exclusively double-echelon formation whereas a brigade forms column of divisions in a single echelon. Historically, brigades would form in whatever number of echelons their commanders saw fit, or according to doctrine, so it would be also possible to have this:

...or this (also available in checkerboard):

Some brigade formations during the period mixed line and column, so you might end up with something not unlike this:

Here's an Order Mixte:

There are too many possibilities to realistically expect the developers to be able to model, but please see my last point below for a possible solution.

Squares

Squares are nicely done, reflecting the practice of forming squares oblique to the line of defense, so as to maximise crossfire and minimise friendly fire:

Unfortunately, it seems to be very hard to keep units in square, even with cavalry in close proximity. They just can't wait to get back into line - even without the Prince of Orange around :) . Historically, commanders complained that it was harder to get troops out of square than to get them into it. I noticed this during the cavalry attacks scenario where out of, say, ten battalions, only three or four would stay in square, even with cuirassiers on the prowl. Also, during the same session I used for creating these screenshots (sandbox hunt them down with the enemy miles away), whenever I put a brigade into square, it would go back into line as soon as the squares were complete (I had to be quick to get the screen-grab). In addition, when they got out of square, their new formation looked like this:

This doesn't seem to happen all the time, though, as I tried a similar test while playing as Wellington in the full battle scenario, and the units came out of square facing the right way.

British Four-Rank Line

...but not in the four-rank line formation they started off in. Wellington's infantry used this formation at Waterloo in order to be able to form square more quickly (is this modeled?), but I don't see any way of using either the context or grog menus to get them back into that formation.

Skirmish Lines

A big round of applause to the developers here for including a very flexible means of deploying skirmishers that's quite different to the all-or-nothing aspect of skirmishers in SOWG. Ideally, this, among other things, should be restricted by unit type, quality and year, but that's for another day.

One problem I have with skirmishing as currently modeled is that the skirmish line doesn't move with the rest of the formation. For example, I took a brigade, created skirmish detachments (100 per line battalion, 200 per light) and pushed them out about 200 yards. Then I ordered the brigade forward. This is the result:

The brigade has pushed past the skirmishers and the skirmishers have turned at right-angles to their original facing, leaving a situation that can be fixed only by tedious micromanagement.

"Maintain Current Formation"(?)

One way to address this problem, and some of those outlined above, while also allowing players to experiment a bit with different (but historically plausible) tactics might be to include a "Maintain Current Formation" option, in the context and grog menus, i.e. after picking the desired location, the player would select "Maintain Current Formation" instead of one of the standard formations and off the brigade would go. Currently, the player can set up any desired brigade or divisional formation, but the work will be undone as soon as the next move command is issued.

Another change that would help this work, although I can only guess at what would be involved in implementing it, would be a period before each scenario starts during which the player can adjust formations and even positions of units rather than trying to do it while the battle is already under way. This might also allow some interesting experiments like sending the Old Guard to take Hougoumont. :lol:
Last edited by Holdit on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo hunt
oho
Reactions:

Re: Observations on formations

Post by oho »

Very good observations. I started a post in the mod folder asking about modding the AI to use not only line formation which results a mere overlapping chaos but to use columns of division as default (also the spaces shoudl be increased for that like you said) also for the AI moving around on the battlefield - and even when firing it shoudl be possible to stay in column of division, this is not possible now.
I think there are moddable comands-shortcuts which could lead to different formation typs for brigades. Perhaps we can limit the number of it and rebbugler or modders can arrange these for us and give it new comand buttons.
Your last idea is very cool, but I think this requires a lot of new coding.
Xreos1
Reactions:

Post by Xreos1 »

Excellent presentation, demonstrates your points precisely.

I'm not sure how much is hard code and how much is modable. Given the quality of mods in the ACW series, and the passion of many of the adherents on this forum; I have a high degree of confidence that if the issue can be addressed with mods, it will be.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Certainly all those brigade formations can be created by modding the drills.csv file (or its equivalent in SoW:WL). Our Nappy mod for SoW:GB has numerous Napoleonic-specific brigade formations, plus a means to move your whole brigade across the battlefield while maintaining that formation.

This should be simple to mod into SoW:WL

As for skirmishers... watch this space. The KS team is discussing these.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Holdit
Reactions:

Post by Holdit »

Great news, thanks. I might even try my hand and some modding myself. I did some with the Tiller Napoleonic Games for my own use.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thank you, Holdit

I really like this presentation.

I too would like to see brigades advancing to the enemy with battalion columns arrayed in formation two battns deep or more Ccheckerboard). Frontage 3 or 4 batts(max).

Also, as you illustrated, spread out with sufficient room for each battalion to deploy into line when close to the enemy. Perhaps, it would not necessarily be included in an 'assault'/attack at all costs type stance but maybe keep it for the basic advance to contact/ attack and probe stances.

As Saddletank said, these formations can be modded in the drills.csv

Q.If brigades where to be modded into 2+ deep formations and contacted the enemy in a firefight or melee, would the AI just allow the rear brigades continue to move forward and thus get embroiled with the first line?

Ideally, I would like the rear battalions to halt in support or move out to the flanks of the engaged battalions. Their action being determined by the stance and enemy threat/enemy open flank.

EDITED to make point clearer

Last edited by Grog on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I too would like to see brigades advancing to the enemy with battalion columns arrayed in formation two battns deep or more Ccheckerboard). Frontage 3 or 4 batts(max).
The KS mod does this. Units prefer to maneuver in attack columns
Also, as you illustrated, spread out with sufficient room for each battalion to deploy into line when close to the enemy. Perhaps, it would not necessarily be included in an 'assault'/attack at all costs type stance but maybe keep it for the basic advance to contact/ attack and probe stances.
For the initial deployment, the game picks the worse division formation possible, DRIL_Lvl4_Inf_Reserves. It's good for a compact view of your troops, but lousy for anything else. If a sandbox game is created with Line of Sight, this formation is the primary reason troop behavior is so bad and the complaints of poor pathing pop up.

In the old game this default formation was set in defines.ini and could easily be changed for SP. For some reason, that file could not be modded for MP. Hopefully that will change in this game.

NSD could do everyone a real favor by having the brigades and battalions change formation first and then begin moving to the desired location. This would allow the units to sort themselves out before they begin maneuvering and/or engaging with the enemy.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
AP514
Reactions:

Post by AP514 »

Great POST..........+1 to the OP
Akmatov
Reactions:

Post by Akmatov »

Wonder if anything has been done to fix this? Sounds like a Chinese fire drill not conducive to being played
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

There have been two patches since this thread was created and substantial work on formation behaviour.