First Impressions

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
ADukes
Reactions:

Re: First Impressions

Post by ADukes »

WNLB?
Seriously? Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle
Xreos1
Reactions:

Post by Xreos1 »

From what I remember they just go for the closest, so get your cav unit flag close to the desired target unit before hitting charge. Or just charge through everyone in your way :evil:
Yeah it's just that sometimes with lots of units around, targets switch constantly and it's difficult to line up the correct one. Any way to get manual targeting like WNLB had?
WNLB?
In strategy firsts Waterloo Napoleons Last Battle when you ordered cavalry to charge you got a crossed saber icon you used to select the victims I mean target.
ColBlimp
Reactions:

Post by ColBlimp »

Despite my initial feelings towards the context menu I was determined to give it a fair shake. I have to say after several hours I am warming to it.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I just need to get a handle on cavalry and charging the correct target. Any tips on this?
It's not easy, but check the targets list in the upper left hand corner. Your unit will always charge the top 'Primary Target'. Or course you'll have to be ahead of the game and know the unit's name you want to charge. Yeah, I know, doing all of this in a second or so is tough, but isn't that a part of being a good gamer? Ha, betcha thought you only had to have fast reflexes in a 'Shooter'.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Yeah it's just that sometimes with lots of units around, targets switch constantly and it's difficult to line up the correct one. Any way to get manual targeting like WNLB had?
WNLB?
In strategy firsts Waterloo Napoleons Last Battle when you ordered cavalry to charge you got a crossed saber icon you used to select the victims I mean target.
Yes, this exactly!

IIRC WNLB shipped with no targeting but it was patched in (very successfully).
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

As a long term player of all Scourge of War games my first impressions of Waterloo are pretty good. Credit has to go to the developers for shipping it in a very stable form, a depressingly rare feat in the gaming industry these days.

I do like the new pop up box that appears next to a unit when you are giving it commands, although it does take a little to get used to. I can see that after using this mechanism it would be hard to go back to the older system. However, the brown bar on the bottom of the screen isn't so great, I find the different icons all very similar and not immediately clear what they represent, I don't feel like it's easy to read in the heat of battle.

The compose order screen is also a big improvement and a lot clearer than it was before.

The new sprites for the regiments look great, particularly the variation in uniforms. I also like the way regiments and arty line up neatly now in line.

One complaint is that I feel like the maps looks comparatively bland compared with ACW maps. I know however that is the reality of the Waterloo battlefield, lots of empty, wide open green spaces.

I think the game needs some minor improvements, but all in all I'd say you guys have done an amazing job.
Generally speaking almost all "European battles" were like that. forests and fields were avoided as much as possible.

Doing miniature wargaming, making awi and acw battlefields are much cooler then napoleonic or 7yw ect. You can "clutter" the table with streams, wheat, corn, snake fances, stone fences, lots of woods ect. It looks lush and prestine. Making the carnage about to happen all the more grousome!
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

As a long term player of all Scourge of War games my first impressions of Waterloo are pretty good. Credit has to go to the developers for shipping it in a very stable form, a depressingly rare feat in the gaming industry these days.

I do like the new pop up box that appears next to a unit when you are giving it commands, although it does take a little to get used to. I can see that after using this mechanism it would be hard to go back to the older system. However, the brown bar on the bottom of the screen isn't so great, I find the different icons all very similar and not immediately clear what they represent, I don't feel like it's easy to read in the heat of battle.

The compose order screen is also a big improvement and a lot clearer than it was before.

The new sprites for the regiments look great, particularly the variation in uniforms. I also like the way regiments and arty line up neatly now in line.

One complaint is that I feel like the maps looks comparatively bland compared with ACW maps. I know however that is the reality of the Waterloo battlefield, lots of empty, wide open green spaces.

I think the game needs some minor improvements, but all in all I'd say you guys have done an amazing job.
Generally speaking almost all "European battles" were like that. forests and fields were avoided as much as possible.

Doing miniature wargaming, making awi and acw battlefields are much cooler then napoleonic or 7yw ect. You can "clutter" the table with streams, wheat, corn, snake fances, stone fences, lots of woods ect. It looks lush and prestine. Making the carnage about to happen all the more grousome!
Yep because cavalry was used much more in battle so the combatants preferred open land. Plus, European lands have been cultivated as farmland/grazing for centuries and centuries so lots of land is cleared, whereas even today in the US most terrain is broken terrain (at least not in the Great Plains).
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Greek
Reactions:

Post by Greek »

I have a problem with the Grog Toolbar. One block of the commands sits in the middle of the screen, right in front of the action. There's a blank brown-wood space down on the bottom bar where these commands are probably supposed to be, but they're up near the middle of the screen instead.

I'm using Win 8.1 (Win7 compatibility set) at 1920 x 1080 with standard 96 dpi.

Bill
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Glad you guys are enjoying it :). It was a joy to develop the Nap mod for GB, and an even greater joy to help develop this game!
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

WNLB?
Seriously? Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle
Fun fact, Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle was the first commercial game Norb worked on, he did some GUI work on it. B)