Modding OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Modding OOBs

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

I have been looking for step by step instructions for modding OOBs on SOW. I'm sure it's out there and I'm not seeing it. I've created a few but I can't get them working in game. I have OpenOffice and I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the issue. I open the file in OO and it does not line up as it should. There is a cell for each word and that messes up the rows. Very confusing and I have not found anyone else who's had the problem. Any opinions would be helpful and thank you.
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Modding OOBs

Post by Jim »

What version of OO are you using. I used OO extensively during the development of Waterloo with no problems.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

If you download and install the SDK, many of the OOBs have descriptions for each column. For further data, within SDK folder, open the logistics folder. Open that and there should be a unitattributes.csv file which contains more detailed definitions of the numeric attributes and such.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... er-16-beta
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

Thanks for the reply. I have version 4.1.1 and Windows 8...if that matters.
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

Thanks Garyknowz. There is something I'm missing in OpenOffice that is causing my columns to act strangely. Does this look right to you?
The attachment SampleOOB.PNG is no longer available
Attachments
SampleOOB.PNG
SampleOOB.PNG (166.92 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Does this look right to you?
NO , that is not the correct way of doing it!
It appears that you are adding too many comma’s which is messing up the format of the other-columns.

Such as… the first and last name of any Commander should be in the same column, and not in different columns as your example.

Example : General Robert E Lee would be together, not separated in different columns such as …Robert , E , Lee .

The best way of learning would be to edit an existing OOB until you feel comfortable enough to make your own one.

This will allow you to learn how the OOB is structured.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

DaVinci - 9thBtn MOS has already said he is not adding any commas - I see none, nor any illegal characters in that image. For him OO and Win 8 are combining to mess up the spreadsheet layout.

I don't know whether it was on this forum or another but I do recall hearing that OO can do odd things with Win 8.

9thBtn MOS - is there an update for OO out there that will help?

You could edit your csv files in a plain text editor such as notepad, though that requires a little more skill and familiarity with csv file structure as obviously there's no cells to line things up neatly and you have to count commas between entries.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

Saddletank, I think I am up to date with OO. I will check again.

Davinci, This OOB is from the Blenheim mod. I have not added or removed anything. The spacing between the names is an example of the problems I am having. This OOB is "SB". When I look at a non "SB" OOB the problem is not there.

Thanks for the help from both of you.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

My Bad, do a Google Search as it appears that some users have to
revert back to a previous version such as O.O. version 3.4.1 to solve
their problems on Windows 8.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

I may have to try that, but I'm not sure how. Thanks