Loc x and loc z and how the coordinates correspond to map location

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Loc x and loc z and how the coordinates correspond to map location

Post by RebBugler »

Thank you, gents!

I've got most of it set. The battle scripting is a little steep at first for someone who's never fiddled with this stuff before. Few questions:

1) Is there a way to create an event-triggered order wherein if one side captures an objective, it triggers the other to send reinforcements?
One way to do it:

evtobjarmy1, East_Woods
evtcont, name of unit,showunit

Command event, objective
result of event

Showunit represents a unit previously hidden...hideunit.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun May 03, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

2) I've created the scenario.csv, but I want to test if the locations, etc. are correct. Is there a way to test that? Or is someone willing to look at it?
In SOWGB.ini set AlphaOmega and NoAI to 1. Run the game in Normal difficulty. You'll have access to both armies. The mini-map will also show the position of all the troops. When everything is where you want it, press the 'L' key. That will create a file named startlocs.csv in your work folder. You can then copy the x,z locations and the unit facings and paste them into your scenario file. If you want to use starting formations other the defaults one, you need to set sandbox=0, or just get rid of the line completely in the scenario.ini file.

I've been using the AlphaOmega and NoAI for a couple weeks experimenting with the engine dynamics. But the way I was taking down the location was pretty cumbersome. When setting the startlocs, are you using the master OOB in sandbox and enter those into the scenario.csv? Or do you mod the scenario.csv, manually entering random coordinates for new units to the scenario OOB, then create the mod without the battlescript and playing it with AlphaOmega and NoAI on in order to set/test locations?

3) I experimented with modding a scenario tutorial, but the Blood in the Run .csv looks much different than described in the SDK manual. Can someone give me any tips on how to interpret what I'm reading on pages 24 - 27? Thanks.
What specifically do you not understand?[/quote]

The scenario.csv from GB03-July1-Blood In The Run (U-Brig) located at Work > SDK > Scenarios folder seems different from the one described in the tutorial. Robinson's division is not present in the current scenario.csv. From the tutorial:

"Open the Scenario.csv file from the new scenario with Notepad or a Spreadsheet. (See “The Scenario.csv OOB” in
section 2.5, above)
Scroll down to line 38. (Column 2 should read “OOB_U_JCRobinson”).
Place an X (or any character) in column 1 next to his name. Continue this until Robinson’s entire division has been
marked. (lines 38 – 52).
If you are using Notepad, insert an [X,] (X comma) in front of each line.
You have just added Robinson’s division to the scenario.

Am I supposed to copy it over from the master OOB first? A little confused here.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Thank you, gents!

I've got most of it set. The battle scripting is a little steep at first for someone who's never fiddled with this stuff before. Few questions:

1) Is there a way to create an event-triggered order wherein if one side captures an objective, it triggers the other to send reinforcements?
One way to do it:

evtobjarmy1, East_Woods
evtcont, name of unit,showunit

Command event, objective
result of event

Showunit represents a unit previously hidden...hideunit.
Thanks!

BTW, what does DbgLvl=2 mean?
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

BTW, what does DbgLvl=2 mean?
In your Work folder is the file sowgb.ini. In there you can add a section called

[Debug]
AutoGameDB=1
MPLog=1
DbgLvl=2
DrawTiles=0
NoAI=0
AlphaOmega=0

AutoGameDB=1 or 0 will/will not automatically dump the game stats on ending every scenario.
MPLog=1 or 0 will/will not automatically dump the game log on ending every MP scenario.
DbgLvl= will add game data (including X Y co-ord positions of the selected unit or commander) up in the top left screen corner. Toggle it on/off using the 'U' key.
NoAI=0 or 1 will/will not let the AI fight the scenario itself.
AlphaOmega=1 or 0 will/will not allow the player to control both sides.

Before I create or test a scenario I go into my sowgb.ini file and set the last 2 variables = 1. I also set the minimap to show all units (=4) and that lets me march any unit anywhere I want on the map, change its facing and formation, without the AI sides killing each other.

If I want to set an objective position I ride an officer to the location and note his X-Y co-ords from the Debug window and note these down.

I then hit 'L' to dump the games startlocs and copy these into the scenario csv file, remembering to ensure teh columns/rows are exactly copied over and the unit formation column is copied across too.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Thank you! Is there much of a difference between DbgLvl = 1 and 2? Ive been using DbgLvl = 1 which gives me the location/facing coordinate information. Why should I use DbgLvl = 2?

Thanks. GK
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

For locations either will do. LVL2 has more info primarily for the dev team.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863