Loc x and loc z and how the coordinates correspond to map location

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Loc x and loc z and how the coordinates correspond to map location

Post by garyknowz »

I've been toying around with scenario modifying with the SDK, and---at least loosely---figured much of it out. What I cannot figure out is how the numerical coordinates in the loc x and loc z correspond to an actual map location. Where is the zero point?

Also, in the sowgb.ini file, I cannot locate DbgLvl noted in the SDK .pdf
Last edited by garyknowz on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Loc x and loc z and how the coordinates correspond to map location

Post by RebBugler »

Upper left corner is where the 0,0 coordinates are located.

To get it working in game add this line to your sowgb.ini file: DbgLvl=1
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Great! Thanks!

What do the numeric units signify (inches, etc.), or are they arbitrary figure simply indicating spacing?

Also, is there way to set a unit's location en masse set by the commander's chosen formation (i.e., as a brigade in line of battle or tactical column)?
Last edited by garyknowz on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Pixels I do believe :unsure:

If I'm understanding your second question, design a formation for your purpose.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Pixels I do believe :unsure:

If I'm understanding your second question, design a formation for your purpose.
Pixels from 0,0? Alright. I figured the numbers were too high to represent yards or feet.

What I was asking is if I can enter a brigade or division formation at the commander's level, and the location coordinates would be automatically assigned for subordinate units based upon the commander's position and facing. It sounds like I'd need to assign locations individually to all units, correct?
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

I was thinking. Would it be efficient for me to set AlphaOmega=1, position to troops on both sides however I'd like, and record the coordinates and facing from there? Or is there an better way?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, AlphaOmega is your best bet unless you have uses for a compacted formation.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

You also want to have NoAI=1 in you sowgb.ini file when positioning troops to prevent them from fighting each other.

The five mile maps are 261824 map units per side, representing a distance of 4.96 miles per side. Doing the appropriate math gives you 30 map units per yard or 1.2 inches per map unit.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Thank you, gents!

I've got most of it set. The battle scripting is a little steep at first for someone who's never fiddled with this stuff before. Few questions:

1) Is there a way to create an event-triggered order wherein if one side captures an objective, it triggers the other to send reinforcements?

2) I've created the scenario.csv, but I want to test if the locations, etc. are correct. Is there a way to test that? Or is someone willing to look at it?

3) I experimented with modding a scenario tutorial, but the Blood in the Run .csv looks much different than described in the SDK manual. Can someone give me any tips on how to interpret what I'm reading on pages 24 - 27? Thanks.

FYI, my goal for now is to create a Marye's Heights scenario and variants. But for now creating a Pcikett's Charge variant with Jenkins and Corse, and potential late reinforcement but Howe's Division if Pcikett's assault is successful.

Also, I'm just curious: it's funny that I have no reservations about dismantling a house and reconstructing a house as a hobby, but messing around with a computer program or automobiles scares the living Dickens out of me. Anyone else have weird phobias like that? Or am I just a puss? :blink: :laugh:
Last edited by garyknowz on Sun May 03, 2015 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

2) I've created the scenario.csv, but I want to test if the locations, etc. are correct. Is there a way to test that? Or is someone willing to look at it?
In SOWGB.ini set AlphaOmega and NoAI to 1. Run the game in Normal difficulty. You'll have access to both armies. The mini-map will also show the position of all the troops. When everything is where you want it, press the 'L' key. That will create a file named startlocs.csv in your work folder. You can then copy the x,z locations and the unit facings and paste them into your scenario file. If you want to use starting formations other the defaults one, you need to set sandbox=0, or just get rid of the line completely in the scenario.ini file.
3) I experimented with modding a scenario tutorial, but the Blood in the Run .csv looks much different than described in the SDK manual. Can someone give me any tips on how to interpret what I'm reading on pages 24 - 27? Thanks.
What specifically do you not understand?
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.