Historical mode and map view

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
mkeogh76
Reactions:

Re: Historical mode and map view

Post by mkeogh76 »

Nice to hear some feedback on the Lynchburg scenarios. That was a challenging battle to simulate. Early's force was outnumbered, ill equipped, but still managed to fight off Hunter by the use of earthworks, and devious tactics (most famously sending an empty train up and down the tracks to give the impression of constant flow of reinforcements). How anyone gave Hunter command of anything, is unfathomable.

"Hunters deeds were those of a malignant and cowardly fanatic, who was better qualified to make war upon helpless women and children than armed soldiers". - Lt. Gen. Jubal Anderson Early
Yes, I used Lynchburg's "Crook to Reconnoiter" as my intro scenario for HITS and couriers. The player gets a straightforward division of infantry with room to maneuver. So, it offers a nice arena to practice giving out orders and seeing how they're carried out.

However, it's a tough scenario. You're ordered to flank the Rebels which is easy enough to do. However, while you're marching to flank them, the Rebs are sending infantry and cavalry forces to attack the other Federal formations. Soon, General Hunter is begging for help to protect his crumbling center.

I must have started and re-started this scenario at least 6-8 times. I lost every time. Initially, I tried to roll-up the dangling Rebel flank with all three of my brigades, but it took forever first to get into position and then try to make headway against the smallish Rebel brigade defending that flank. Realizing that the Rebs would do a frontal assault against the Federal main line at which there would be a late appearing victory location, I started leaving behind a single brigade to support Dupont's artillery. It would get routed alongside the artillery. So, I started leaving two brigades. They would both get clobbered. Eventually, I chalked-up "Crook to Reconnoiter" as beyond my meager generalship skills.

I now realize that the AI had been given significant boosts as to its experience and leadership due to my playing that scenario on "Historical" difficulty. No wonder the AI's flank wasn't crumbling upon being hit in the flank and rear because it was being guarded by Elite Veterans with excellent leadership. No wonder that the AI's frontal assaults were so successful against artillery with supporting infantry because they were practically immune to being routed due to their absurdly high morale and leadership!

I think "Crook to Reconnoiter" would be a fairly tough scenario on any difficulty level, but "Historical" difficulty made it impossible for my humble skills.