American Rev. War mod anywhere??

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
NHall
Reactions:

Re: American Rev. War mod anywhere??

Post by NHall »

@Zeke

Thanks for the link. I found that one the other day, it downloads just fine but it tells me that there is "Invalid data" when I try to install it. I'm guessing the file is corrupt. So it looks like the final download for the Hires version of R&R is gone. I'm guessing I'll be sticking with the lowres one, which downloads and installs just fine.

A shame really. I even spent an hour or so randomly googling hoping to run into a download somewhere randomly, no joy. Thanks for you help all the same.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Hi,

I still have a 'Version' of Rebels and Redcoats on my drive.

It will play without the need for the original CD in the drive but does not have the scenarios. There were only a couple of very simple ones, Cowpens and Long Island if I recall.

All the Revolutionary OOB's are there though and it will still play "Open Play" with the correct sound and music. All the original TC2M ACW OOB's and battlefields are there as well, giving plenty of fighting venues.

It might be possible to get you a copy if it will help. Logistics could be a problem as I live in Darkest Africa. Takes a month to get an air mail to London !! Alternately I might be able to e-mail it in sections for reassembly.

Let me know if you are interested.

Geoff Laver
Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Done a bit more investigation on this. The files are about 3.7 GB so e-Mailing them would not be practical.

I am just experimenting with burning them to a DVD.

All of the OOB's are there for TC2M, Northern Rebellion, Horse and Musket and Rebels and Redcoats. Whilst the Rebels and Redcoats OOB's seem to work fine, which is what you want, some from the other games will not and crash out. I guess some of the individual unit sprites have gone corrupt.

You would just have to work through them one by one and check. Suck it and see !

Geoff Laver
Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regimentt of Foot
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

I'm just doing a final check that what I have loaded is the High Definition version. I'm sure it would be ...I never compromised on less than the best ....but it is several years ago since I last examined the files.

Can somebody advise me of the convention at the time. Looking at a sprite in the GRAPHICS/UNITS folder, should it have HD in the sprite name or something similar ?

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot

Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi NHall,

Oh dear, this gets more and more complicated.

I downloaded again the Low Definition Rebels and Redcoats and checked the quality of the sprites with those on my version. No difference ! So my installation must also be Low Definition. Damn it.

However, the version downloaded from Mediafire was a very early Beta with only one OOB. Mine is a later version with a lot more Revolutionary OOB's. I also have a lot of the extra TC2M mod battlefields up which makes Open Play more varied.

I have copied my game to DVD. It won't play direct from the DVD but will play fine when transferred to a hard drive. If you want this DVD, just send me a PM (Private Message)with your postal address or alternatively e-mail me on jeffers at gowzim dot com

Geoff Laver, Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot

JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

hey guys, if you wouldn't mind could you start a new post regarding the TC2M files/issues, and not post "TC2M related" items here? somehow my orig. post got hijacked!! :) thanks...

(this post was for "SOW related" Amer Rev War posts, and since I subscribe i'm getting all these non-related emails when i'm only interested in the SOW related mods being worked on)
Last edited by JohnVW on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi, JohnVW

Since any SOW mod covering the Revolutionary War would most likely be constructed adapting the old TC2M sprites as a base, I do not consider the matter as irrelevant and trivial. I can't see anyone at the moment creating from scratch the large number of sprites that would be needed, particularly since the SOWGB engine is likely soon to be overtaken by the improved Waterloo engine and the obvious place to work would now be there, not here.

I'm afraid you must concede that the answer to the question posed in your "subject" is NO.

Please be assured this response is not sour grapes for us having lost the war !!

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot

JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

I was not implying that any of the posts were "trivial", just not related to the orig SOW Amer Rev post...the Mod being worked on currently is a SOW Mod, and not for TC2M...that's all...

and, I might suggest you could use a 16GB flash drive (about $10 US) to mail-off your files, instead of trying to put them on a DVD(s)...and then they could be installed from the flash drive on the other end...

like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Fr ... ash+drives
Last edited by JohnVW on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Hi everyone

Sorry to have kept you in the dark for so long but I have been seriously ill and spent three months in hospital. I have been out now for about six weeks and am still on the road to recovery. Needless to sayI have had my enthusiasm curbed a little to want to do modding as it became bottom of my list of things to do. I had probably about 90 per cent completed and had been playing sandbox quite successfully but it would not play multiplayer. this might be because the sprites are in the old format.I am now in a better place and have started to get back to AWI and am applying myself to learning to pack the sprites. I have had to retire from work so should have a lot more time to apply myself to the task at hand and get the mod out as soon as I can.
Thank you for your patience

Remus
Los
Reactions:

Post by Los »

Thanks for the update and hang in there Remus!

Los