Waterloo protest

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
chijohnaok
Reactions:

Waterloo protest

Post by chijohnaok »

French try to block Battle of Waterloo coin

France wants to block plans for a €2 coin to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the historic battle fought by the Duke of Wellington against Napoleon Bonaparte in 1815 because it would be a “symbol that is negative”.

The French government is attempting to block a coin commemorating the Battle of Waterloo, claiming it is a “symbol that is negative” and would undermine the unity of the eurozone.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -coin.html

Is there any concern among the game developers that France might want to block the SOW-Waterloo game because it might be a "symbol that is negative"?

;)
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Waterloo protest

Post by con20or »

Nope. All 60 million of them can buy it and try to win :)
Last edited by con20or on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

LOL, there's only one nation that likes to moan and b*tch at stuff more than us English, and that's the French. Waterloo was only a "negative event" for Napoleon and later Marechal Ney, for every other French person it was just a small wave on the rolling ocean of time's flow called history. It was neither good nor bad, it was just change, the end of one era, the start of another.

For people living 200 years later to be offended by a reminder of a defeat suffered long ago by men long dead is silly. Looking at it from a wider European context, Napoleon's downfall was a huge bonus which brought more than 20 years of death, suffering and economic ruin to the majority of Europeans to a close. They were now at liberty to go have arguments and wars elsewhere over other matters ;)
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

And considering it is a €2 coin, it isn't even going to be used in Britain. So who's idea was it - edit ah, Belgium.
Last edited by con20or on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

i for one am still upset that the romans invaded britain. i want pasta and chianti banned immediatly!
AP514
Reactions:

Post by AP514 »

the French are mad because it was the last time they had an ARMY that could actually win.....:P
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

The EU could easily sell the 7th Coalition as a unifying moment for Europe. It was the first time Europe came together to overthrow the rule of a single man who they believed was a tyrant. After all the 100 days were a war that was declared on one man, they never declared war on France, just Napoleon. That's not my take, but it's certainly a way they could sell it. You could argue since the 7th coalition included the French Kingdom it was the first time Europe united under one banner for a common purpose with the goal of establishing a peaceful Europe.
LOL, there's only one nation that likes to moan and b*tch at stuff more than us English, and that's the French. Waterloo was only a "negative event" for Napoleon and later Marechal Ney, for every other French person it was just a small wave on the rolling ocean of time's flow called history. It was neither good nor bad, it was just change, the end of one era, the start of another.

For people living 200 years later to be offended by a reminder of a defeat suffered long ago by men long dead is silly. Looking at it from a wider European context, Napoleon's downfall was a huge bonus which brought more than 20 years of death, suffering and economic ruin to the majority of Europeans to a close. They were now at liberty to go have arguments and wars elsewhere over other matters ;)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That's a good point. AND he wasn't French. Now if you spell 'Napoleon' p-u-t-i-n the point is clearer (but I won't since these discussions go in the OT forum).

BTW are there any pictures of the proposed 2E coin? NSD could use one as a flash screen.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
SiliconMagician
Reactions:

Post by SiliconMagician »

"You could argue since the 7th coalition included the French Kingdom it was the first time Europe united under one banner for a common purpose with the goal of establishing a peaceful Europe."

That's rather.. idealistic I think. More like "under one banner for a common purpose with the goal being the reestablishment of their monarchies".. peaceful Europe? Later events proved that wasn't at all true or even desirable among Napoleon's enemies. He just grew too big for the rest of them to stand. Some Corsican midget going around deposing kings and such just couldn't be tolerated.
Last edited by SiliconMagician on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

"You could argue since the 7th coalition included the French Kingdom it was the first time Europe united under one banner for a common purpose with the goal of establishing a peaceful Europe."

That's rather.. idealistic I think. More like "under one banner for a common purpose with the goal being the reestablishment of their monarchies".. peaceful Europe? Later events proved that wasn't at all true or even desirable among Napoleon's enemies. He just grew too big for the rest of them to stand. Some Corsican midget going around deposing kings and such just couldn't be tolerated.
Yes I'm aware of that. I'm just saying it could be argued that way. I fully understand its not entirely realistic.