Is There Still a Community Here?

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
SiliconMagician
Reactions:

Is There Still a Community Here?

Post by SiliconMagician »

Hey all, I doubt anyone will remember me but I picked this gem up years ago when it first came out and when the variouis expansions were just a glint in Norbs eye. Back then it was almost like a beta! I'm glad to see it has expanded so much over the last few years.

Anyway, I remember how much fun Garniers mod was in MP, with the persistent divisions and veterancy it was very, very cool and no other game did I have such a real emotional attachment to my regiments. I remember once in a battle over the island I was in the center of the line and I saw a blue belly regiment start to waver and so I forced 3 regiments across the creek and up the hill to break the blue regiment, tear open the line and win us the battle. Unfortunately it cost me 55% casualties to my two best regiments and basically reset them to green. It was bittersweet victory indeed.

So I was thinking about coming back to the game, but 80 bucks a pretty stiff investment for me right now for a game. So I wanted to hit the community up first and ask if the MP community is still active. About how many games are played a month, typical times, etc?

Thanks guys,

TSM
Last edited by SiliconMagician on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Is There Still a Community Here?

Post by Saddletank »

Hi

The GCM community is still going strong and for their games you probably only need the base game as they play on Garnier's random maps mostly.

There's a strong HITS & Couriers community over on the Kreigspiel forums (see link below) and they play in a 1st person perspective with a camera view distance of only 2 yards and use courier messages for all comms between players in MP games (no talking on TeamSpeak). It makes SoW a completely different experience with fog of war a very big factor in any battle. It may not be to everyone's liking though as you have to rely on the AI more.

The Kreigspiel community is currently focussed on the Napoleonic mod and plays both one-off MP scenarios every weekend plus a map campaign that's been running about 2 years now. This community invests heavily in all the add-ons so to join them you'd probably need to pick some of them up eventually though there are enough free add-on maps made by Norb's team now to give a lot of variety. hey also use some of Garnier's random maps.

Downside to the Kreigspiel group is they only rarely play ACW games these days.

The MP lobby is otherwise often got players in it hanging out for a casual game.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
SiliconMagician
Reactions:

Thanks for the reply. If I purchase, it'll be the full package, because the upside is.. this 80 bucks buys A LOT OF WAR in single player too. Plain and simple..
SiliconMagician
Reactions:

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. I ran the first tutorial scenario about unit movement, and it took about 10 or 15 minutes of me working through the tutorial and exploring the menus and it all came back to me. Quit out of the tutorial, loaded up the first scenario in the cornfield under Lawton. By the time the blue bellies chased me from the cornfield I had fully made up my mind.. this game was fully worth every penny I paid.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Its by far the best RTS game out there.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
2ndAcr
Reactions:

Post by 2ndAcr »

There are also some small groups that play regular games. I got a small group that plays co-op versus the AI just about every Sunday. There are 4 of us regulars and we each play Corps level commands mainly.

We play really long 4 or more hour battles, and that can be rough on some folks.