CTD and other errors

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
charlesobscure
Reactions:

CTD and other errors

Post by charlesobscure »

I reinstalled on a new machine last week (running Windows 8, but in compatibility mode on XP (Service Pack 3)) and it seemed to be running properly. I have imported my high scores, saved games, and mods. When the game was running properly on my old machine (and when it was running normally just after I reinstalled the last couple of days), the opening screens were the Red River Campaign, and I couldn't see the generals' photos when I played Chancellorsville battles. Now the opening screens are Trevilian Station and I can see the generals' photos. Additionally, the game has been CTD consistently after about 10 minutes of game play and when I click the "Use Roads" command, the units go haywire fanning out in battle formation.

Perhaps it's the old mods that are causing this? I think the only thing that has changed between the time it was working normally when I first installed and now is that I've activated the old mods.
charlesobscure
Reactions:

Re: CTD and other errors

Post by charlesobscure »

As a follow-up, I turned all the mods off that I had imported and the game appears to be working properly and the opening screens revert to Antietam, Brandy Station, etc. However, if I open up old saved games, the game will CTD when I hit the "Use Roads" command and the opening screens reflect the mods that were in effect (e.g., Prairie Grove).
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah once you start activating a bunch of mods at once it's a recipe for disaster. It's best to de-active all mods, and then activate them one at a time until you find the one that is causing problems.
charlesobscure
Reactions:

Post by charlesobscure »

Thanks! Do you think it would be quicker just to re-download/install the mods? There aren't too many.
charlesobscure
Reactions:

Post by charlesobscure »

I've been going through my mods one-by-one to ensure they work. Everything seems to be working properly, except when I initiate the Lynchburg mod, it causes the generals' photos to disappear when I play other scenarios. Do you have any idea as to why this would be?