Is SOW a dead game?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
opuslife
Reactions:

Is SOW a dead game?

Post by opuslife »

Got tired of waiting before saying something - Gotta tell ya... I'm really disappointed. Been two years since any new large ACW battles have been put out. (Ya, ya, ya I know... european market, blah blah, blah).

But the reality is, once GB, Antietam and Wilderness were out, I expected (as probably did others), that after a reasonable time we'd see maybe Shiloh? Chickamauga? ANYTHING? American Revolution built on the game engine? Nope. Nothing. For almost TWO years. Sorry guys. I still play GB or Antietam battles now and then, but this game has essentially died on the vine for lack of water.

After much hard earned goodwill, a putting together a GREAT game, you guys simply left us (the casual players and fans that bought the game in numbers) standing here. Waiting. For nothing?

All the best. Hope the goodwill serves you well... maybe in 'Europe'? Or in China. Ya... I hear the Germans and Chinese are REALLY loyal customers.

Though in closing, my angst is simply because I really LIKE what you guys do... REALLY. Just feel sad that there's been NOTHING for SO LONG.

Moving on.

Regards,

Bob W.
Bristol RI
tim
Reactions:

Re: Is SOW a dead game?

Post by tim »

We do did this:-

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/offici ... g-released

The thing is we are a part time group making a professional game - it takes a lot of time. We would love to release a game every six months but we don't have the resources. We have moved to Waterloo for a different perspective and not abandoned ACW at all. We have left no one - it may look calm but under the surface our legs are paddling like mad.

I'm glad you like the game and we don't want to rush stuff out like some other game companies are accused of - it has to be top notch and that takes time.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I hope it's not dead, because it's all I do for 70+ hours a week trying to get Waterloo done for next year. If you hear it's dead, please let me know :) I know the rest of the team is putting in major hours as well trying to get a finished product. Matrix is handling our PR for this release, so you can go bother them for news :lol: We usually just post stuff as we think of it, but when you're working with a publisher you are supposed to run everything through them first, and the moment kinda gets lost.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

@OP: It's not dead, and never will be.

Yes, for a short time some of us move on to other games but what makes a great game/simulator such as this is you always return no matter if it's twenty years from now.

As far as the mods are concerned, they are still being made.

One more thing to help maybe bring it into perspective here, is Doom dead?

Far from it, it still sells copies, and people are still making mods for it, and people are still purchasing SOWgb.

OP, it's only your opinion, and I would appreciate it if you stayed away from speaking for me, and others as you did in your post because you are not me or anyone else for that matter.

Dead?

Not a chance.
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

of course its not dead! try to retain some perspective.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Is it dead? Not by a long mile.

I know SoW:GB isn't going to get any new patches (probably) but the multi-player community is thriving with at least 2 big groups playing games several times a week. Yes, the SP scenarios in the base game and the add-ons will only last you so long but MP is where the future is for this game, as well as the mods of which there's now several excellent ones out there.

Even SP sandbox play is fun and Garnier has made an SP campaign mod too.

However if your horizon is limited to ACW SP scenarios, then yes, its probably dead, as I think any non-modded SP game is after, what? Three years? Four?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

My dog died the day they announced they were abandoning the ACW.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I understand what you are saying although I don’t agree with it completely.

The game of chess was designed ( I don’t know ) a thousand years ago, and is in my opinion the greatest battle game ever designed. SO, without many changes would I consider that game dead, doubtful…..

This game is very solid and has a dedicated single-player following, as well as a multi-player following, but the game is played a lot better by modding it.

After so many years of following this game and the previous two games, I still find the time to play this one multiple times a week.

Now, could I continue to play this game after so many years without the modding-aspect being applied……not likely!

But, Norb was smart enough to allow the players the ability to mod their game, and has also allowed the user to design their own maps.

In conclusion, the game is only as dead as the user allows it to be.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Los
Reactions:

Post by Los »

And yesterday the Crimea mod was released!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

My dog died the day they announced they were abandoning the ACW.
When did Norbsoft say they were abandoning the ACW?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.