New Computer - Fun with Game Software [FIXED - THX REB]

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
opuslife
Reactions:

New Computer - Fun with Game Software [FIXED - THX REB]

Post by opuslife »

[FIXED] Orig got ANT so long ago, that ANT was not registered with Matrix - Now have ANT - Problem solved thanks to Reb

Was kinda dreading this, as my experience has been that trying to keep games working across OS changes is always about as much fun as self-dentistry.... but I digress...

Was using a Win 7 64 laptop (many happy hours of GB and Antietam) - but it's dying... well sort-of. It's on 'life support' with overheating and fan issues. It's still alive enough for me to get my work files copied off - game files are a distant priority 'n' in pulling them off before it dies completely.

So now, today I got this brandy new, nifty Win 8.1 laptop w/Intel i7, 8GB Ram, 1TB HD, Screen Resolution is 1920 x 1080. Got the work stuff going ok, then onto the fun of getting SOW moved/running on the new laptop....

Managed to find the Matrix logon, get in, and download GB (1.5 I think), then successfully updated it to 1.6 I believe. But here is where it gets fun... for I 'had' GB, Antietam, and Chancellorsville before (all fully paid up), but Matrix shows nothing for Antietam under 'My Products.' Also, Matrix shows 'No Downloads' for C-Ville.

Then, after install, when I launch the game from the desktop icon, firstly the game/update/manual popup page comes up ok, but then the main game select menu seems much much smaller than normal. When I actually launch a scenario, it seems to run full screen just fine, after I changed the compatibility settings to XP Chg 3.

My questions are (still have to go dig out the extra scenarios, and rummage though the cobwebs to figure out where they go), but...

- 1 - What happened to Antietam? And what do I do now? I paid for it, still have it running on my dying Win7 machine. Can I download the Antietam update from somewhere and copy any file info from my dying machine to make Antietam work? I really don't feel it appropriate to have to buy it again.

- Is there some sort of settings issue I am missing that has the main game menus showing up in tiny size on my screen? I can still read and navigate it, but it's just cheesy to have to do it this way. Must be a more professional solution, eh?

Lastly, I gotta tell ya I am really glad the game even still works (even though I've still got to hunt down the extra scenarios - unless there's a batch or packet file that's got most of them together, maybe?)

Anyway - all thoughts and insights/suggestions really appreciated.

Regards all,

Bob W.
Bristol RI, USA
Last edited by opuslife on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: New Computer - Fun with Game Software

Post by RebBugler »

Did you try number 8 below?

From Registration Procedures...
You can register here:

www.matrixgames.com/members/

Here is a step by step guide:

1. First go to the members section www.matrixgames.com/members/
2. Login with your matrix username and password that you created.
3. This will bring you to the members club page where you can see a list of all matrix games.
4. Scroll down to the Scourge of War section
5. If you haven't registered your games, click the Register link to the right of the game
6. It will ask for the serial. Enter the serial to register it
7. Once it's registered, you will now see a Registered link next to it
8. Click that link to get a download link of the game.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
opuslife
Reactions:

Re: New Computer - Fun with Game Software [FIXED - THX REB]

Post by opuslife »

Related Q (now that ANT is working)

With newer machine (new HD laptop is set to run at 1920 x 1080 on a 15.6" screen), I'm still looking for suggested settings.

It seems that the splash screen, main menu, and in game menus all appear pretty small at that setting (they don't expand to fill either starting/game select screens, or full width side to side for in-game menu/button bar along the bottom.

Realizing that this may just be a personal 'preference' issue, with higher machine screen resolutions (on laptops) have any of you folks hit on better settings to make it less 'magnifying-glass' playable? After my initial post, I've left the laptop screen resolution alone (it came with that recommended setting), but adjusted the game screen resolution down to 1366x768, which makes it a little easier to read and control the game.

I haven't hooked the newer laptop to a larger screen yet (have to find an HDMI cable), but I will. I play the game sometimes on the laptop screen, and less on the larger desktop flat screen.

In the interim, rather than rebooting 8-10 times to change and test all of the different game resolutions, can any of you playing on a similar modern laptop share what settings seem to work best for you folks?

Any/all insights, opinions, allegations, lies and dam*ed lies still appreciated.

Regards and thanks, Bob W. Bristol RI