American Rev. War mod anywhere??

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
gunship24
Reactions:

Re: American Rev. War mod anywhere??

Post by gunship24 »

The words to the Star-Spangled Banner are about the bombardment of Fort McHenry by the British in 1812.

I read a book about the war. The battles were small scale with a few thousand a side at most. Lots of little naval actions. As far as the US was concerned it was a way to free up trading with France again and to try to finish what they started in the revolution my attempting to take Canada from the British. In the end neither side really wanted the war to last and a political solution was agreed after the British defeat at New Orleans.
Last edited by gunship24 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1ongstreet
Reactions:

Post by 1ongstreet »

It is commonly thought that the American victory at the Battle of New Orleans (Jan 8th 1815) is what resulted in the Peace settlement and the end of the War of 1812. But interestingly enough, Peace had already been negotiated in England before the battle took place. The Treaty of Ghent was signed on Dec 24th 1814 and ratified in England on Dec 30th, but news of the treaty didn't reach the America's until February; nearly a month after the Battle. The treaty was ratified by the United States on February 16th and the news didn't even reach the combatants in Louisiana until late February.

I found that to be a pretty interesting piece of information and thought I'd share, gives you a bit of insight into how slowly information (And supplies to the british) actually traveled back then.

Also let me just say a very big thank you to Gunship24 and all the guys who worked on the Road to Wagram and Kriegspiel mods, you guys are awesome! :)

And another big thank you to Jack Oneill, I just received your CD in the mail and I can't hardly wait to try it out. :laugh: I'm going to get started working on some OOB's later tonight.
Last edited by 1ongstreet on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Reactions:

Post by Don »

Try as I may, I cannot download the mod from MediaFire. The problem is that the green "download" button does not depress, but rather remains "flat".
Any suggestions?
Don
1ongstreet
Reactions:

Post by 1ongstreet »

Don, sorry your having trouble, I assume you mean the Bladensburg OOB i posted the other day? If yes, I just checked it out and it seems to work for me, it also said it has been downloaded 18 times already! :woohoo: which is pretty cool ha! but this also makes me assume its working properly; so I'm not sure what would be causing your problem. Maybe try using a different browser?(or possibly update your current browser?) If you still can't download it, just shoot me a PM with your email and I think i could send it to you that way, its a pretty small file. ;)
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Be advised - OOBs are small enough they can be posted right here. I've posted many of them here on the forum. Try that and see.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
1ongstreet
Reactions:

Post by 1ongstreet »

It doesn't seem to want to let me add files of any kind, not even screenshots in the attachments section of the reply page. It just stays blank no matter how many times i try to "Add File" I don't if I'm doing something wrong or what, but anyways.

Jack i have now looked over the AWI mod you sent me and its a great start! I was a little disappointed to find there wasn't any "proper" uniformed continental infantry sprites included but i guess beggars can't be choosers can they :P . So this is what the Continental Infantry currently look like: Image ; a mix of green uniforms, brown uniforms, and hunting shirts. This is okay for representing certain time periods of hard campaigning when uniforms would wear out or specific units who had little to no uniformity to begin with; but some units in the continental army were quite well turned out. For instance the 2nd Maryland , and the 1st Delaware, were said to have been finely uniformed in the most common pattern continental uniform, the blue coat faced with red, during most periods of the conflict. like this: Image .

So now I have begun to figure out how to edit the included "green continental infantry" sprites to make them blue, but as others have stated, this is a very time consuming process. It's difficult because of the sheer number of different angles and animations, there's probably close to a thousand different individual sprites I would need to edit. This is how far I've gotten: Image I've only just finished editing the standing animation sprites and that's it. So while it IS do-able and i am making some progress, it's not exactly ideal haha :laugh: ; and i have many questions:

1st: Is there anyone out there who knows how to do this the proper(and much faster) way, (by capturing images from all the different angles of an actual 3D model) and who would be willing to help?

2nd: If/ when i do finally manage to finish editing all the sprites to blue, how would i go about creating a new unit with these sprites? In this new unit I would want about 85% of the sprites to be my newly created sprites with blue coats+red facings, and about 15% men with hunting shirts mixed in. But i can't find any information on how to do this. If anyone could help me out, or point me (or link me) in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) .
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Hi All

I have Seven Years War Prussians which would substitute as Continentals. If you post a photo of Hessians I can paint sprites to suit.

Remus
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

L,

On my computer the "Green" Continentals are a faded blue. I understand what you are saying. Please remember these sprites are converted from Crikey's TC2M RnR Mod from back a bit, so changes are inevitable. I'm going to state this also- I'm guessing you have never been in the Military, especially ground units. After a very short time, no uniforms have survived first contact with reality. Any "Well-turned out unit" will look like crap as colors fade and items rip and tear. Good luck with the color changes, though. Looking forward to what you end up with.

Jack B)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Yeah, they look blue to me too.

Good enough. Recolouring is a bitch. :unsure:

Btw - for the record, RnR wasn't mine. Think it was Tim and Greyman under the Skunkworks banner. B)
1ongstreet
Reactions:

Post by 1ongstreet »

Remus, Yes, absolutely thank you! I can give you as many reference photos for the Hessians as you need! There were of course multiple Hessian regiments serving in America who wore slightly differing uniforms, but here are a few images of the more commonly depicted uniform which was used by the 7th and 48th Hessian regiments I believe.

Image Image Image

And yes, I actually just stumbled across this thread : http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... 0&start=30 last night, while trying to figure out how to create new units. I think they're referring to the 7 Years War Mod throughout this thread, and when you scroll down on the second page you can see this screenshot: Image Which appears to be an almost perfect, already made continental infantry sprite hah.. Are these the sprites you were referring to? If so, i believe they would work very well! :) Thanks Remus.

Jack, while i certainly agree with you, and understand the point your making, I don't think all of their uniforms would have faded out to be the exact same shade of green either haha :lol: . It doesn't look right IMHO especially when that same "green infantry sprite" is currently being used for the Hessians.

Eventually, I hope we can get a more accurate Hessian uniform from Remus, at which time we can use the green sprites to properly represent troops who were actually uniformed in green, an example being the Hessian Jaegers. I was also planning to utilize the green infantry sprites to represent the Loyalist Regiments who fought for the Crown and were often uniformed in green.

So while I agree with you that not having perfect uniformity among the continentals is a good thing, i feel it necessary to have at least one sprite wearing a blue coat faced with red; which by all accounts, was the most common uniform worn in the continental army. (one reason for that being, they were provided by the french in large numbers) I'm only trying to help make this mod as historically accurate as we can get it, within reason. :side:
Last edited by 1ongstreet on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.