Do you consider removing trees during battle cheating?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Bloody 8th
Reactions:

Do you consider removing trees during battle cheating?

Post by Bloody 8th »

I was wondering if you guys feel removing the trees during battle at times cheating? I do it a lot because if I didn't I wouldn't be able to control anything. I also micro manage entire armies myself putting them all under my control. So I kinda feel like it is when I do it but I was wondering how everyone else felt.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Do you consider removing trees during battle cheating?

Post by Davinci »

I was wondering if you guys feel removing the trees during battle at times cheating? I do it a lot because if I didn't I wouldn't be able to control anything. I also micro manage entire armies myself putting them all under my control. So I kinda feel like it is when I do it but I was wondering how everyone else felt.
I also micro-manage my whole army which consist of twenty-three-brigades and I never switch off the trees during the game.

It takes a little while longer getting the troops in order but I'll usually place the first brigade in the woods and then place the other brigades behind him to either the right or the left.

Once they are behind the first brigade I'll move them up slowly and usually have to use the oblique function a lot.

After a while you will hardy 'notice \ view' the trees as a distraction, I'm view the houses and barns as more of a battlefield obstacle while trying to line up the brigades than the trees.

I did try playing without the trees for a while to help the FPS but they only count for about (2 FPS) so that really wasn't a big enough gain to remove the trees.

Answer to your Question - Do I think that it is cheating, well...yes.

But, I also thought that using the fences were a cheat since the AI didn't do it, so I'll usually remove that bonus also and give the entire battlefield a sort of smoke-bonus to keep everything even.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

In our group's MP games we don't remove the trees.

I guess we do think that it's cheating too, but perhaps the main reason is that we like things historical. In reality it was very hard to keep control of your forces in wooded country, and so it should be in the game.

Here's another reason. All sorts of interesting things happened on battlefields which were heavily wooded. At Chickamauga for example gaps in the line occurred, because the higher-ups could not see what was happening. And advancing brigades lost their way and crossed each other's paths, because the lower-downs couldn't either. So you risk losing a lot of fun too, if you remove the trees.

Martin
Bloody 8th
Reactions:

Post by Bloody 8th »

I guess I better stop doing it then. Playing Red River and Big Whiskey whew lots of trees.... Hard to see anything especially when I micro manage everything.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

There's nothing wrong with doing it at all. NSD put the trees-off toggle in there for a reason, so feel free to play as you prefer. In MP its more of an issue as the person with trees off clearly has a big advantage over someone who leaves them on. Maybe though you could try less micro managing and see if that makes your games more enjoyable, or just different.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.