American Rev. War mod anywhere??

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: American Rev. War mod anywhere??

Post by Jack ONeill »

T,

Yes, and they should also have conical, grenadier-like helmets too. But, such is not the case. "I" use them as Hessians since there never were any Blue uniformed British troops in the original TC2M Mod. The OOBs from TC2M list them in the Green uniforms. One can always not have Hessians, of course.

ALSO - note to all. This Folder is huge - 1.78 GB. I'm going to have to post it probably in smaller increments over a period of time. I may be able to shrink it down a bunch by editing the flags graphics files. (That one is huge). Since we are really only using 5-6 flags, that should do it.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

as many files as needed !! (smile)...please post here when it's avail...can't wait...
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Jack,

Wouldn't it be quicker to burn the data onto three CD's and post them (literally) to John via snail mail, pony express or whatever ?

We all seem to forget these days that this alternative exists.

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

that would work as well...i'll even send you a pre-posted padded envelope...
Fightin Joe
Reactions:

Post by Fightin Joe »

A Rev War Mod would work really great for multiplayer, considering most battles of the period involved no more than 15,000 men per side, which is typical of current multiplayer games. Saratoga actually had around 5,000 per side engaged. Of course, small arms would be dramatically reduced in accuracy and range.
Fightin Joe
Reactions:

Post by Fightin Joe »

British Regulars (1 type) Green uniforms (using them as Hessians)
Jack
Tories sometimes wore green, as well as Hessian Jagers, who carried short rifles and acted as light infantry. Also, Tarleton's Legion wore green I believe.

This is an excellent resource:

http://www.amazon.com/Uniforms-American ... revolution

Might I add that Continental Regulars in the summer appeared the same as militia, wearing loose white uniforms with slouch hats, as at the Battle of Monmouth.
Last edited by Fightin Joe on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

While I get this sorted out, I need to post this also - these sprites are not, repeat not "packed" like the current SOWGB sprites are. They are old school sprites. They might cause your comp to run a little slower during the game. However, as Fightin' Joe said, since the armies are relatively small, it shouldn't be a problem.

A note on the Tactical side - This was the first real outing of the British (and also the Continentals) using the 2 rank firing system, as opposed to the 3 rank sytem of the previous war. I have set up the files to reflect this. Also, since the Battalions on both sides tend to be smallish, I recommend the default sprite ratio of 1-4.

I WILL get this posted. Probably by this weekend.

Note to Geoff - Good idea. If I had any money not dedicated to food, gasoline or rent, I'd do it. That IS how bad things are here. And yes, I do have a job - it's just a crappy one. The situation ramains grim.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Just spent 30 minutes trying to upload the AWI folder. No Joy. I have edited it down to 670 MBs. It is amazing how much extra crap ends up in something your doing. Anyway, my F'ed up Dish network Internet won't do it, so I'm going to get up at Zero Dark Thirty tomorrow AM (Pacific time), and try again. I have no idea why, but satellite Internet seems to work fine until about 0930 hours, then the tower crashes, reboots and sucks after that. I'm pissed now, so I WILL make this work. I have gone through all the files. There does not appear to be anything out of sync. You should be able to just drop the folder as is into the Mods section of SOWGB. I have converted the folder to Winrar, so it should be easier to manage. Sorry about the delay.

Jack B)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Molon Labe"
kentucky orphan
Reactions:

Post by kentucky orphan »

just came out of the shadows to say an advanced thanks for this mod. lookin forward to it. beware of lurkers :evil:
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

if you would, drop a quick post here when it's avail (then i'll start searching for it)(smile)...and, thanks again for all your work!