Corse and Jenkins

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Corse and Jenkins

Post by garyknowz »

As most of you connoisseors of Civil War history know, Pickett's division was well under it's overall command strength at Gettysburg. Generals Micah Jenkins and Montgomery Corse were on detached duty in southern and eastern Virginia. Lee elected not to recall these brigades. Both were large, veteran brigades. Corse's brigade, like most of the division, was composed of Virginia regiments (15th, 17th, 30th, and 32nd Virginia), while Jenkins's veteran brigade was composed of the 1st, 5th, and 6ths South Carolina infantry, the 2nd SC Rifles, Hampton’s Legion, and the Palmetto Rifles. Together, it's estimated these made up about 40% of Pickett's overall force. Speculation of what a full-strength Pickett's charge might look like have arroused curiosity ever since.

Does anyone know where I can find regimental strengths of these units during this period? Or, has anyone done any work on a mod to this effect? Thanks. I'll can try, but at the moment am limited as to modding skill and statistical OOB resources.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
garyknowz
Reactions:

Re: Corse and Jenkins

Post by garyknowz »

Hmmm...I suppose that means no. I guess I'll just do my best then. I don't have the same access to material that I did when I was in graduate school, so was looking for potential leads on where I can find that data. oh well.

Cheers all!
Last edited by garyknowz on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

The info is out there. I just cannot remember where. The Official Records are a good place to start. I don't have time myself to look it up. Both brigades were considered good veteran formations.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The TC2M Fredericksburg OOB lists Corse at 1358 and Jenkins at 2620. Neither unit was at Chancellorsville so strength at GB could have been around these values.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

However, they both fought in NC, but most of Longstreet's formations recieved conscripts right before they went north (bulking up their strength). The regimental numbers can be found somewhere...I wouldn't know for certain. Check the OR correspondance volumes, for they are more than likely to have regimental strengths, or the OR for the NC campaign in early 1863.
Hancock the Superb
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

They will both be introduced in a 'What IF' in our next release. Their stats were researched by Larry for the given time period.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Thanks, gents!
I was using the Fredericksburg figures as a baseline. I wanted to make sure that some units hadn’t gone through reorganization during that period though. I found a few good footnotes and bibliographical information in Lee’s Lieutenants and other books in my little library. O.R. 27 is supposed to contain records of the conditions, actions, and strengths of these units during the summer of 1863. I also found a book called ‘Pickett’s Men’ that’s is supposed to have this information available on Amazon.

Nevertheless, it sounds like good research has already been done on this front, and that a scenario is in the works. Looking forward to seeing all the goodies the next release will include!
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

I'm reading OR vol 18 which concerns Suffolk from Oct 1862 to June 1863. Longstreet's oob's are there as well as DH Hill's and the troops that stayed behind when Lee went north. In my reading this vol. my respect for Gen. Peck and Dix and JG Foster has greatly improved. They may have not engaged in a major battle with Longstreet but they certainly did a great job in countering every move by the Rebs. It is a great read as well.
Move Forward
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

They will both be introduced in a 'What IF' in our next release. Their stats were researched by Larry for the given time period.

The TC2M Fredericksburg OOB lists Corse at 1358 and Jenkins at 2620. Neither unit was at Chancellorsville so strength at GB could have been around these values.

-Jim

Forgive me for reviving this topic. I see that Corse and Jenkins are included in the 'Longstreet Arrives' scenario, but not in a Pickett's Charge scenario. Also, the brigades seem woefully understrength---far from the figures Jim cites. Each brigade has between 600 and 700 troops. What was the reason for this?

I'm looking through the OR records this week. If I could get a ballpark figure, I'll try to put together a scenario. If anyone else has done research to this end, please let me know. Thanks.

RDBoles, I've been reading through the letters you're referring to, but haven't seen any troop figures. Did you see any specifics? Thanks. GK
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

I found some info in OR Ser 1 Vol 18 pg 1056 that cites Jenkins brigade as numbering 2,267 men on May 11th 1863. Nothing on Corse though.

Does anyone have the regimental strengths from the TC2M Fredericksburg OOB? Looking at Brett's FB OOB, most of the regimental figures are listed as not available.