Newb here

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Calvin809
Reactions:

Newb here

Post by Calvin809 »

Hello!

I'm new to this series and am coming from the TW series. I was just thinking that someone should make a Civil War game that would include more realistic command and unit structure (unlike TW where it can become mass chaos quickly trying to manage individual units without any kind of command structure). Then some how I found SOW...tried the demo and now bought the Gettysburg game. The graphics of course are not on the level of TW but the actual game play is way better! Also being a Civil War buff and just visiting Gettysburg for the second time this summer makes finding this game even better. (Second time seeing Gettysburg was way better since the first time I was younger and didn't really know what happened there).
35th Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Newb here

Post by 35th Georgia »

Welcome to the crowd. It gets even better as you go, trying out the MODs and taking advantage of the many who are more than glad to be of help. I have never found a better bunch of folks on any other game site and there has always been improvements and always will be if you judge by the past. There are too many to name that have made the game better by their presence. Norb of course,Little Powell, Rebbugler, Mike and others have seen to it that even if all you had was the base game you could still spend hours in gameplay without being bored. Take advantage when you can of the exspansions it's well worth the investment.
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

When you're ready for Multi-player, www.sowmp.com
35th Georgia
Reactions:

Post by 35th Georgia »

You will find Garniers' single player at www.sowmp.com good as well.
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."
Calvin809
Reactions:

Post by Calvin809 »

Downloaded a few MODS already and got through all the tutorials except the cavalry one. I found the division commander tutorial difficult but I won a major victory on the Corps. commander tutorial. I think I started to understand division commanders while I was positioning their divisions in the corps commander tutorial (so I will have to try again). I took a lot of advice with artillery that I found on the forums here and did a TC of the artillery commander to keep him in place and he got a higher score than my infantry with over 300 enemy casualties.

I have to say that it is quite an epic game way more than the TW series. The scale of the battle in the corps. commander tutorial was awesome!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Glad you like it!

Some day if your feeling adventurous try HITS. It's a type of gameplay that has a restricted camera locked to the general sprite, most orders can only be delivered by courier. Add in the realistic smoke mod and start a corps battle - then try and stay on top of things:)