Possible to assign subordinate commands to other players during game?

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
pakfront
Reactions:

Possible to assign subordinate commands to other players during game?

Post by pakfront »

Had a good time playing a coop sandbox battle last night. One player was div commander, another a brigade commander in the same div. At one point the brigade commander was idle, the div commander quite busy. We where trying to figure out if there was a way for the div commander to attach an artillery battery to the brigade commander so he could TC them and spend some time micro-managing them into a good position on an overlooking ridge.

We couldn't figure out a way to do that. Is there one?

One alternate we concocted and tested in a short game afterwards was having a single div game - but have one player as corp commander, and the other as div. That way the div commander could focus on individual brigades and batteries with direct commands, but the corps commander could lighten his load by using courier commands to move the neglected elements around the field.

Obviously this was more in the way of keeping the game fun for the players and spreading the load, rather than emulating a historical command structure.
Last edited by pakfront on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Possible to assign subordinate commands to other players during game?

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

A brigade commander can give orders to the battery via the courier order system. You cannot use the toolbar.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
pakfront
Reactions:

Post by pakfront »

Some further questions regarding chain of command in MP:

Let's say I am corps commander and the other player is a infantry division commander under me. In addition to his div., I also directly control an artillery division.

If he sends a courier to a battery, will the battery execute the order? Or will I get the message, and then be on my own to execute it?

If I send a courier directly to one of his brigades, will they execute my order? Or will he get the message and then be on his own to execute it?

Does detaching/attaching a unit have any bearing on the above examples?

Thanks
Last edited by pakfront on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Any order you give will be executed by the subordinate unit. You are bypassing the chain of command in this case. The danger is that the unit's direct superior may have other ideas and issue his own commands which will supersede yours. If you detach the unit, you won't have to worry about that happening. Just remember to reattach it when you are through using it.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.