Controlling Berserker Artillery

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
PunkinsPuppy
Reactions:

Controlling Berserker Artillery

Post by PunkinsPuppy »

Hi, again.

I have graduated to the 3rd tutorial and experience a reoccurring theme - I bring my units to the 2nd marker, unlimber them as the Union infantry starts to advance, and then individual units start running around like chickens without heads. This activity is characterized by firing a shot and then moving the cannon to another location and firing again. Inevitably one or two wear themselves out to the point that they are routed and run away from the battle. I have tried selecting the button that takes control from the AI, but to no avail - Capt. Charles R. Grandy is a hapless witness to this spectacle. Luckily for me there are only *4* guns to watch over; I can easily imagine that *6* or more guns would only increase the chaos.

The manual offers limited help in that it suggests "micro-managing", i.e., individually selecting the guns and ordering them to limber, unlimber, etc., which I have tried and does not seem to work.

Is there something obvious that I have missed or should I resign myself to never being an artillery officer? (My settings are on the "seasoned" level.)

Thanks in advance.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Controlling Berserker Artillery

Post by RebBugler »

For best control TC the battery CO, NEVER TC individual guns for fighting, just to escape if necessary. It takes a while to learn to make arty effective, positioning and distances. Yeah, they'll move around targeting different units, the nature of the beast, still, tired arty can be quite effective, if not as effective as fresh units.

And Welcome... :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The guns moving about is a sign that the artillery is not optimally placed. They do that when they have a poor line of fire to the nearest target and must search for another. It's usually the case that friendly troops are partially obscuring the target(s). If a gun is repositioning frequently, try moving it to a slightly different location where it looks like it will have a clearer line of sight. Sometimes it is only a matter of a few yards. Happy hunting.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
PunkinsPuppy
Reactions:

Post by PunkinsPuppy »

Now that I understand why the units are moving without any command by me, I have a better appreciation of what to do. It seems that much of the movement is created (in the tutorial) by other Confederate troops moving and getting in the way. I can practise now with more confidence.

And in my latest attempt at the 3rd tutorial I actually won the battle!

Thanks.