Question please.

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
gbs
Reactions:

Question please.

Post by gbs »

Its about giving an order as a division CO to move to another part of the map and form up in a particular formation and "use roads". The CO , me, sets off on the nearest road and the rest of the division move to the single spot where the CO was and waits in line to to set out on the road. Why shouldn't they move "directly" to the nearest road since there doesn't seem to be a required order for road marching? I actually thought this was fixed in a previous patch. Am I wrong? Not a big deal but a little irritating at times.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Question please.

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

This was fixed in the 1.3x patch but reappeared in 1.4. It has been with us ever since. Even more annoying, if everyone is on the road marching and you give a new destination, the units will all first march to their commander and then get back on the road and proceed to the new destination. In some cases this means backtracking along the road they just traveled and in other cases, going cross country till they reach their commander.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

I've been a bit frustrated by this too. I found a method that takes care of the problem, though it can be a little time consuming: Once you've clicked on the area where you want to deploy the division and clicked on "use roads", cycle through your brigade and battery commanders and click on "use roads" with their respective toolbars, and they move directly to the road rather than towards where the division commander enters the road.

This method also works when you decide to change a destination while in the middle of a road march. However, in that instance, you need to do the same thing with each regiment and battery gun as well.

Like I said, it can be time consuming and some players may not want to do all of that, but it works like a charm every time. And for me, it's a lot less annoying than watching your force backtrack and take longer to reach their destination.
Last edited by Ephrum on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Well, I'm perplexed. This has always been unacceptable to me, that's why I've stayed on it and made sure it worked correctly with each patch. I saw a report like this with the last patch change and I tested it...no issues. And now, just to be sure, I just tested it again,CV10.

Test:
French, located at the back of his division was given a line formation at the objective, Useroads was then selected. No issues, Units went directly to the road and proceeded via road toward the objective...they did not go back to French's position, the issue in discussion.

Now, having said this, I did experience this anomaly ONCE after it was fixed, thought it was broke, reported it, but could not replicate it...it worked correctly in all replays. Finally just had to close the report. So, something's going on, but with all my testing I'm not finding that issue again, just that once.

Please try the test if you have CV. Also, please indicate who and where this happened, I'll try to find it and test it. Thanks
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I'm not 100% sure on this, as it has been some time ago that I used it, but the work-around to give another destination was sending a courier to the Divisional Commander to Halt .

After all of the units stopped, I would then send out another destination order to move to a different location on the map.

If memory serves correctly, that seemed to work!

Concerning the units getting on the road at the location of the Commander , I haven't really paid too-close of attention to that.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I'm not 100% sure on this, as it has been some time ago that I used it, but the work-around to give another destination was sending a courier to the Divisional Commander to Halt .

After all of the units stopped, I would then send out another destination order to move to a different location on the map.

If memory serves correctly, that seemed to work!

Concerning the units getting on the road at the location of the Commander , I haven't really paid too-close of attention to that.

Edit Post

Yes, I just tested this and the units do move to the starting point of the Divisional Commander to start their road march, even if they are in front of that point.

I think that this was added in years ago to help with the AI-Cycles of road-marching, which as everyone knows is one of the most CPU demanding slow-downs of the game.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Please try the test if you have CV. Also, please indicate who and where this happened, I'll try to find it and test it. Thanks
Forgive me Reb, but I don't know what CV is in reference to.

This happens in any Sandbox game I play when the order to "use roads" is given, and on any of the maps/OOBs.

I should mention that I'm still playing the game from a long ago install with the stock maps and OOBs. Frankly, I couldn't tell you what the last installed patch was. 2 1/2 - 3 years ago at least. I haven't even registered at Matrix yet. (Don't know if that makes a difference but it seemed worth mentioning.)
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

CV is Chancellorsville. And I highly recommend getting the latest version of the game, especially when troubleshooting bugs.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

RebBugler wrote:
Test:
French, located at the back of his division was given a line formation at the objective, Useroads was then selected. No issues, Units went directly to the road and proceeded via road toward the objective...they did not go back to French's position, the issue in discussion.
That's not the correct test, although you will see interesting behavior. In your case, what will happen is each regiment will head for a point on the road that his brigadier is heading to. Even though there may be shorter paths for a regiment to initially gain access to the road, they will go to the point where the brigadier accesses the road.

Now that we have our brigades on the road, marching to a destination, give the brigades and batteries a new place to go via the road system. What you will see are the regiments marching to the location the brigadier is at the moment the regiments receives the order. Once they reach that point, the brigadier is no longer there of course, they will resume using the road to get to their new destination.

Now let the units reach the destination. Notice that they first will go to the location where the division commander is or will be located, (if you used a division movement command), or they will go to the brigadier's location first and then head to their place in line. I guess they want to kiss his ring and receive his blessing before battle.

This is not a sporadic bug, it happens every time.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
gbs
Reactions:

Post by gbs »

This works I think....i'll try it later (at work now). Use the command map to give a division move location then click the formation button. Riders are sent out. Once everyone is moving, with the division CO chosen, click on the red use road button. I think everyone will then move directly to a nearby road and continue on.