Reducing Rifle effectiveness

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Louisiana_Tiger
Reactions:

Reducing Rifle effectiveness

Post by Louisiana_Tiger »

Never mind, figured out my own question
Last edited by Louisiana_Tiger on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Reducing Rifle effectiveness

Post by RebBugler »

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question.

However, FYI, be careful with long range musket adjustments as infantry will always target artillery over infantry, regardless of range. Artillery is always seen in the code as the BIGGEST THREAT and will target as so, regardless of infantry screening attempts.

Also, artillery is much more vulnerable to infantry charges than TC2M because they can be captured while retreating in their limbering state.

IOW, artillery at close range is risky business for both the player and the AI, so be aware as you're modding away artillery advantages.

And Welcome... :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

LT,

To follow on from RB, I modded the rifle-musket ranges to give the Infantry a chance to ding the Arty gunners a bit before being chewed up by canister. I reset the max musket range to 195 yards. This puts the Infantry just inside canister range, but allows them to shoot down the gunners a bit, without massive casualties from the artillery. seems to work okay.

"Molon Labe"

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Louisiana_Tiger
Reactions:

Post by Louisiana_Tiger »

My impression thus far is that artillery is more vulnerable than in TC2M. I know that was one of the most active topics and areas for modification with that game. I still like being able to snipe at batteries, but finding a balance is important.

In TC2M, I made the minimum range % to hit very high and the rest low. So a regiment firing inside of 25 yards could essentially not miss, while those firing at over 200 yards would score a couple of hits per reloading cycle. I found it hazardous the leave batteries unsupported or to place too many guns on the front line, which really helped balance the power of artillery.